Gunsmith tool making! Plans?

loademwell

When I was in school for gunsmithing, I was told that there were plans all over the internet for special tools. I.E. jewling jig, Remington 700 bolt disassembling tool etc...
Going to try keeping this updated every once in a while on any PDF that I find or some good ideas on making items...
If anyone has ideas, please attach here or if I have a tool and you need a measurement I will try and get it for you.
NOTE: Lathe and mill will more then likely be needed to made these items.
Some of these items might be better just to buy online because it would take almost days to make them and you could buy for $40 or so.

I've built quite a few fixtures to hold parts during milling and lathe operations, but don't draw up any prints or plans for these fixtures. Normally, they are a specific use type of helper. Like this fixture to mill the back face of 10/22 receivers for adding a rear tang to support a 10/22 receiver with a heavy bull barrel:

BL2sAo0l.jpg

This fixture provides adjustment to zero the receiver in X, Y & Z locations for the cutting tool.

I made a holding fixture for parts that have multiple surfaces and angles so that I could "engine turn" ( jewel ) 'em so that they hold rust preventative much better, and there's no reason why they can't look decent while holding the oil:

ZfROCZam.jpg

This fixture will index precisely using an old 60 tooth spur gear that I acquired somewhere :

TYCYaZrm.jpg

Again, I have no plans drawn up for this jeweling fixture, but will take a picture once I dig it out and post that.
The fixture will require the use of a "good" metal lathe & milling machine. The smaller "toys" like the uni-mat are not accurate enough, or sturdy enough, to handle any real serious work, and are mostly used by hobbyists. And milling should never be attempted using a drill press.

Back