Gunsite Tactical Carbine Class

DeBee

What exactly is taught at the Gunsite Tactical Carbine Class? Can you tell me the course curriculum?

Do you take your Scout rifle or AR carbine?

What is the "Bolt Flick"- How is it performed?

You could take both from what I understand. Watching the Class Video Gunsite made - It centers on the AR - but all skill taught are usefull with any rifle.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

As I recall, the Bolt Flick is simply a method of keeping the weapon mounted and cycling the action quickly.The shot's fired, the strong hand comes up and the ball on the bolt handle goes in the center of the palm. A quick movement cycles the action and the piece is ready to fire again.I never could figure why one takes the piece off the shoulder anyway,so I have more or less always done it.

It's easier on some types of actions, it's really easy on the Lee-Enfields. The Brits used to teach the method and got very good results.

A bit of practice will familiarize you with the technique.

Hope this helps...

Sure, any advice from Gunsite is valuable in my opinion.

Eventually I'll get the video, but until then I'd like to be able to improve my skills...

DeBee, I took the weekend / 2 day version of this course in Phoenix at Ben Avery. Well worth the money, in my book.

Most folks had AR's, with a few AK's thrown in. We went over sighting in the rifle, different shooting positions, the usefulness of these firearms for self defense, tactical reloads, ammunition, handy accessories (slings, sights, etc.), cleaning and maintenance and so on. Lots of shooting - about 600 to 750 rounds in 2 days. Lots of fun. Great instructors.

At the beginning I knew very little about the rifle. After 2 days I was hardly an expert, but I felt much more confident with an AR.

I think you would enjoy the course. By the same token, I don't think you'll learn anything about bolt action rifles in a tactical carbine class. I gather the week long course covers the same ground, with lots more practice, and more 'tactical' situations.

Have you checked out Gunsite's web site?: http://www.gunsite.com/

Here is the course description off their web site:
ARIZONA SPECIALS

Tactical Carbine #123

Tactical Carbine addresses the deployment and use of the 5.56mm (.223 Remington) and the 7.63x39mm (.30 caliber Russian Short) battle carbines. The course structure will cover a spectrum of technical and reliability information about this popular mid-sized weapon type.

In additon to a serviceable carbine (AR- 15, Mini 14, AK series, etc.), you will need at least one spare magazine and a pouch for it and knee and elbow pads. Light gloves may be desirable.

Duration: 2 Days
Tuition: $300

Take care. Regards from AZ.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited October 22, 1999).]

300 is not too much for a class that could end up saving your life or the life of a loved one.

Too many folks are too caught up in the "toy" aspect of things - and not the "application" of them. Instead of buying that 2nd Glock - why not a good class covering the use of the first? PRACTICE and TRAINING are KEY if you want to be a Gunslinger. Buying toys cause they are neat - Your just a Dandy...

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

DeBee,

A few weeks ago, Rich and I had a short discussion about the 'bolt flick' under a posting entitled "Steyr Scout..anybody own one?", which started on 10/10/99. I think you can get there from here

www.thefiringline.com/NonCGI/Forum3/HTML/000937.html

Down at the bottom are a couple of posts that may be of interest. You will learn the usage of the bolt rifle, especially a Scout, in a Gunsite General Rifle (270) class, a Thunder Ranch General Rifle class or a Jeff Cooper Rifle class at the NRA Whittington Center. I offer some instruction in Arizona for friends and referrals.

The Gunsite Carbine classes are definitely geared towards AR-15, Mini-14, AK type carbines. I would recommend the AR. Much of your shooting will be pretty close, with almost all of it under 100 yds. TR offers similar training. I can also personally recommend Jim Crews who travels around the country with his training program.

www.marksmans.com

If that domain isn't working yet, try his old one at

www.angelfire.com/biz/AZGuns/

Doug.

[This message has been edited by Doug in PHX (edited October 22, 1999).]

Amen, George. Instead of bells and whistles, the next thing to get should be lots of ammo or components and range time,and/or training.

"Technology cannot be made to substitute for expertise"....

Thanks for the excellent thoughts. $300 is very reasonable for a "mini vacation" like that... guess I'd better start accumulating more ammo! Hmmm. Let's see how many boxes IS that...

My AR is in pieces on my bench- it's in the process of becoming a Lightweight- even a 14" M4 Vortex seems too front heavy - but I want a Colt 1x9 post ban lightweight- and I understand I'll really have to be patient finding that one...

My Scout rifle project is stalled in the design stage. I can't work out a scout mount to my satisfaction- I want a Picatinny rail from the rifle's front ring using existing scope mount holes extending forward like a quarter rib giving me more "optics options".

The project MAY evolve into a "Snout" or "QR2 type" rifle with me spending the budgeted money on a fantastic scope instead of scout mounts. Say the Leupold LPS 1.5-6x42mm 30mm or the popular 3.5-10x50mm Tactical???

Given a choice between getting a great rifle with a so-so scope and a fairtomiddlin' rifle with a great one, I'd go for the great scope.

There's few bad rifles,and plenty bad scopes....

Definitely second the Jim Crews recommendation. He is a fine instructor on the practical application. My favorite quote from his last class: "There's no reason they can't go in one hole just because you're backing up from the target over rough ground."

For California shooters, I would also recommend Firearms Training Associates out of Norco, CA. They teach at Raahauge's and is headed by William Murphy, a current and Orange Gunsite Rangemaster as well as HBPD SWAT cop. His teaching is professional, courteous, patient, and follows traditional as well as modern aspects of pistol, shotgun, and riflecraft.

Check out their curriculum and very reasonable rates ($200 for a 2-day carbine class) at www.ftatv.com

Tim

Debee - you want light weight - try a fluted barrel - it helps somewhat.

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Back