Gunsite Tactical Carbine (#123) - Suggestions?

Jeff Thomas

Last weekend I was surprised to find that Gunsite now offers some weekend courses in Phoenix. Soooo ... I'm now signed up for Tactical Carbine for this Saturday and Sunday.

I've been out once to fire about 130 rounds through my Bushmaster AR-15 'Shorty'. Thoroughly enjoyed the rifle. I've also purchased / watched Gunsite's Tactical Carbine video, and I'll do so again before class. But I'm very new to this, and of course I want to minimize my potential jackass moves.

Supposed to take knee and elbow pads, 500+ rounds, eye / ear protection, and light gloves. I have a couple questions:

1. Should I buy some 'shooting gloves', or is this like dice on the rear view mirror, which will immediately mark me as a neophyte?
2. Besides making sure I take all the gear and probably watching the video again, is there anything else I should consider or do before Saturday morning? (no cute comments about life insurance, please ;) )

Thanks.

Work on a safe manual of arms. Practice safety. Your firearms handling will be much more important to an instructor, than what you wear.

As I shoot an AR lefthanded, I prefer a tight lighweight glove to run the safety with my index finger.

Listen to your instructors! Good shooting, GLV

GLV, thanks for the comments. In case anyone else here would consider a Gunsite weekend course in the Phoenix area, I must say it was great. While only lasting 16 hours (their normal tactical carbine course lasts a full week), we squeezed in all of the basics, with some timed drills. Great introduction to this subject, and well worth the $150, plus ammunition. Whetted my appetite for the weeklong course.

Larry Landers - from the Arizona Department of Public Safety (our 'Highway Patrol'). Sharp, very decent fellow, appropriately strict on safety, and very patient, encouraging and helpful in his instruction. Know him?

Edmund, it was great ... just excellent. Remember, I'm very new to the AR-15, and my previous rifle experience was with a Ruger 10/22, an air rifle and a rental of an M-14. I'm a very 'green' shooter.

It was reasonably priced ($149) from my perspective, and touched on the major points. In two days we couldn't do a lot of in-depth practice, but it gave me what I wanted - enough knowledge to practice on my own. Plus, an ability to ask tons of questions.

I'm very glad Gunsite offered this 2 day course. I'll definitely sign up for one of the weeklong courses. And, in early May I'll take their Tactical Shotgun weekend course.

Back