Gunshow in Hampton, VA much better than usual

Doc Hoy

Came home with a CZ52 which I traded two brass frame ASM Cap and Ball revolvers for. (Came with two magazines)

Also brought home a Belgian Top Break in .44 Winchester. Think this is not a shooter but a very interesting piece. All of the springs are shot but I am going to try to bring it back to operation. I think the year of manufacture of this revolver is somewhere 1894 to 1911. Has the right proof marks and is of a caliber which according to some sources was discontinued roughly in 1911.

Doc be sure and post pictures. I like my CZ52, it's just a bit picky on ammo. Mine doesn't like Romanian. I wish the ammo was still more widely available. I see the TT-33s popping up again, but no cheap ammo to go with them. The Belgian sounds very interesting.

cz-3.jpg

TK

you really have me scratching my head doc hoy. back when I was stationed over there I was in my infancy of being a gun enthusiast. one of my best friends at the time and I decided to head over to a show at the Norfolk Scope Arena and since it was my first gun show I really had no idea what to expect or what to do. I had yet to get bitten by the C&R bug so all I was really paying attention to were the evil black rifles, few of them I was actually able to identify at a glance. I only brought $20 with me which pretty much paid for admission and a garbage knife which I later found out, was not authorized to be brought onboard the ship. I did not know that it was ok it touch the guns, dry fire, or test the sights and operation.

now I'm in an area where the largest portion of what goes into our 2 gun shows a year are hunting rifles and shot guns, very little in the way of C&Rs so you really have me wondering just how many gems I was walking right past...:confused:

2 responses

TK,

The photo of yours could be a photo of mine. I am away right now and won't get back for a week but when I do I will post a photo, but everyone will say that you and I own the same pistol.

Tah,

When I was doing exclusively cap and ball revolvers, I was consistently disappointed n shows and that would still be the case accepts that now I have expanded to BP cartridges and subsequently C&R stuff.

This was a great show because it was very well attended by vendors. Ammunition seems to be more available. Used firearms are more frequently available. That includes good condition pre-owned semi autos of very recent vintage.

I actually saw a lot of berdan prime red Tokarev surplus ammo at about 20 to 30 cents a round. Several vendors had it. Problem is I spent all my pennies on other stuff and I do have a supply of the ammunition for the two pistols that need it.

Doc post pics when you can. CZ52s have really gone up in price over the years. Just seems a few years ago they could be had for $120. I didn't get one then because I just favored the looks and works of the Tokarevs (personal preference). Wishing I'd picked one up now. That belgian should be an interesting project.

BTW, glad you're posting again. Was getting worried about ya!

Noel

Between the CZ and the Tokarev my favorite is the CZ and the Tokarev.

.That was a joke....

Asking price on the CZ was 250.00. The belgian cost me 60.00.

Doc,

I was curious about the finish. Mine still has the original. I have seen some that were black. It's a very interesting design. I bought two for $120 each. Gave one to my brother. Wonder if he still has it?

TK

According to some light reading....

Some were blued, others were parkerized.

The one I purchased is parkerized.

The belgian revolver is rusty.

Here are some photos

First is CZ52 with a cat who would not get out of the picture.

Next is the left side

And the right side. You can see that my technique has not improved any.

More photos

Here is a left side close up. Serial number is clearly shown. That may not be such a good idea but I could never figure out why.

And the right side

You can see the X53 on the right side of the frame and the "T" in the circle on the bolt.

On the bottom of the frame near the front is engraved:

CZ-52 7.62x25 CZECH REP
T6 KNOX TN

Serial numbers on the slide, the frame and the bolt match.

Here are some photos of the belgian wall hanger

I have several old revolvers from Belgium from around the time of manufacture of this pistol but this is the only Belgian Top Break I own.

No serial number on the pistol.

The number 39 is on the barrel, frame and cylinder. The number 17 is on the right side of the barrel lug with some of the Belgian proof marks. The word, "Belgium" is on the left side of the barrel lug. On the top of the barrel is engraved: "For .44 Winchester Cartridges".

I plan to slug the bore (which still has some rifling) and cast the chambers.

Just about every spring in the pistol is either broken or missing. There appears to be some remnants of nickel plating. There is a hole for a lanyard ring but it is missing.

There are very few parts worth salvaging but my intention is to just try to get it working, figure out what cartridges it is rally designed for (just in case I am ever asked) but not to shoot it even if I do get the action working and even with substantially reduced rounds.

Here is a left side close up. Serial number is clearly shown. That may not be such a good idea but I could never figure out why.

Well here, let me help edurcate ya! .......... Ser# now added to stolen gun database. :D;)

Doc,

Thanks for posting the pictures. You're right your CZ-52 does look a lot like mine. I really like the top-break. It will be interesting to see what you can do with it.

Any trapdoor projects in the works?

TK

TK

Have a rolling block in .43 Spanish that I am trying to get set up for reloading.

Also made a tang sight for one of my trapdoors. Now I am getting used to it.

Trapdoor has a lot of recoil and the sight wants to lay down every time.

Doc, Sure there are some more scenarios. If you bought that gun from a non-dealer, you could get a call from the police/FBI/ATF regarding a stolen gun. In that case though, I'm sure you'd want the gun to get to the rightful owner, but you'd be out the gun and some cash while the investigation was under way (and perhaps forever). You being suspect #1 for a little while. It's a low probability but still a PITA. I just think it's a bad idea to provide TMI, and just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me. ;)

Noel

I agree...

It becomes a balancing act.

It is easy enough to not mention the serial number (or not mention the WHOLE serial number) in a written description.

It is a tiny bit harder to shoot a photo of the pistol that captures what you want to portray but avoids the number. Sometimes you can't do it so blurring or masking the number is an option.

I imagine, if one is concerned about it, they will take the precautions they need to take.

I don't worry about it. I always get a bill of sale w/DRL# with everything I buy, so if it does turn up having an issue with the ownership, I have proof that I bought it in good faith.

If it isn't stolen and someone files a false police report, then that is a felony and they will have to deal with the consequences. The burden of proof will be on the person that files the report to prove that they had it before you did. Without a bill of sale or a police report filed at the time of the theft they will have a tough time proving that it was in fact stolen from them.

For the last several years I have taken date stamped pictures of everything I own that is of any value and I keep copies in different locations, including the Cloud. That way if I have a fire and everything is destroyed, or someone steals my computer, I still have proof of what I owned and it's condition.

If it is stolen, I want the owner to get it back and I certainly don't want it in my possession.

"Roger..Out" to all you have said...

In addition to the documentation you mentioned I can cite the digital conversation which is taking place in this thread. Dates and times hard to fudge.

Photo of the pistol.

This was a private deal in Virginia (my residence).

And like you said, I'd happily turn it over to someone who could prove it was stolen from him or her.

Back