Guns youve spent money on but would trade for less..

JERRYS.

how many of you have spent X amount on a gun, but after the charm has worn off would trade it for another gun of less value? nothing drastically less, but buying a gun for $600 and a few years later trading it for a different gun valued at say $400.... just because you've lost interest in it...or whatever.

Not really, although I did sell my Remington 870 WMMag(LH) I've owned for 20 years just last week for $50 less than I paid for it. I GUARANTEE it had way more than 50 bucks worth of wear on it, so I'll call it a wash, maybe even a win ;)

The only time I think I've let a gun go for less is in a trade for something I REALLY wanted. Maybe once. Yeah, I'm sure that's it. Yeah...:rolleyes:

Colt Gold Cup. $679 in 1987. It never lived up to my expectations and was no more accurate than two other 1911's I had at the time. It especially bothered me that the finish was no better and the trigger rattled. Traded it for a S&W Model 14 and Model 10 at a gun show. Both guns were used and the dealer threw in some money to boot. I still have both revolvers and am very happy with them.

Some years back I traded off a CZ-100 and Taurus 66, even up for a Springfield XD. Money-wise I lost a bit, but I think I came out ahead.

GyMac, I feel your pain. I had a Colt Delta Elite First Edition stainless... for all the hype it wasn't all that at all....

I had an MSAR (AUG clone) that never ran right and broke a lot of parts, even after some factory service. Lost a few bucks selling it with full disclosure, but was glad to be rid of it.

I bought a Beretta PX4 Type D that I had been drooling over. After keeping it a while, I just couldn't fall in love with it. I paid $525, and I ended up getting about $350 in trade value for it for my Ruger Security Six...

Sooner or later I think it's going to happen to just about everybody. But, like RodTheWrench points out . . . uou have to consider the price of the enjoyment you've had . . . if it was enjoyable.

I bought a H & R Sidekick (929?) one time that looked like new - thought it would be a good plinker and I could get my wife to shoot it to learn. The durn thing shot so low a person could plow with it. Never could find the problem and I know a lot of folks that had that model and they shot well for what they were. I traded it back in to the LGS where I got it used. . . . lost on it but not big $$ like an expensive handgun. In the long run, what I lost on it just equaled to "another one of life's lessons". :D:eek:

I don't keep guns I don't like or use. But if you are careful when you buy, you shouldn't lose much if any money.

Not really, although I did sell my Remington 870 WMMag(LH) I've owned for 20 years just last week for $50 less than I paid for it.

In my experience a 20 year old gun should sell for MORE than I paid for it. A Wingmaster sells for about $800 new today. They were around $400 in the 1990's. Selling one to someone at $500 would be a bargain for both the buyer and seller.

IF I sell them, I've typically held them long enough to not lose $$$

This is me too. I also tend to buy used, and only at bargain prices. If I don't think I can make a profit on it, I don't buy most of the time. The rare times I've bought new was when I was absloutely certain it would be a gun I'd keep as long as I lived.

Well, I don't do things like that, honestly. But I know there's a -zillion- guys out there who do, and do it constantly, and I love these guys because they keep the market stocked with goodies for me to chase. :)

Money isn't everything. At some point happiness, having a more desirable model started meaning more than the whole dollar for dollar thing. Not willing to take a big loss but if the end result has me getting what I have more interest in owning, I'm happy.

Traded a 3" S&W 60 in 357 for a S&W 640 no dash in .38 Special. Not a fan of the .357 in snubs, so for me the trade was fine because I got what I wanted. Plus I can go out and buy a new 3" S&W 60 in .357 right now, not the case for a 640 in .38 special. The 640 I traded for was listed at $300, which I sold a couple years ago for $400. So really, I guess I didn't lose out that much in the end.

I have a personal motto: Buy at any price and eventually give it to your friend :-) No, I do not need more friends! I have fun with the gun and then pass it on for others to enjoy..this is one of the few perks of getting older-- you can pretty well do what you want as long as it remains legal.

I've probably "lost" money on most of the guns I've sold.
I dont have the space or inclination to have a big collection, so when I run out of room, want something new, or find I'm not shooting something regularly, I generally sell something. Since most of the guns I've bought I've bought new, they're not worth as much when I sell them.
However, I doubt I've ever "lost" as much money selling a gun as I've "lost" feeding it while it's been in my possession.

I live in a state that allows private sales, and since I'm picky about who I sell to, and don't like having people call about adds for weeks on end I usually price them so they move.

Money comes, money goes, and I don't think my overall financial situation is all that much worse for loosing a couple hundred bucks every year or so.

Bought a NIB S&W 640-3 ($550.00) thinking it would make a great backup piece or summertime carry...........even found a Bianchi holster specifically made for the hammerless style. ($50.00) Hated it. Tried 3 different grip styles and still couldn't get it fit my hands. Plus, I never could quite get past the thought of that "Hillary Hole". In the back of my little pea brain I just couldn't trust it. Finally traded the rig to a gunsmith for some work I wanted done to another revolver. (~$475.00)

Back