The National Firearms Association, a Canadian gun owners' group, has a
slogan: "registration means confiscation." That's a cynical take on the law,
some might say, but appropriate for a country where the government
recently banned short-barreled, small-caliber pistols — years after they'd
been subjected to registration with all due assurance that the things would
remain legal. So you can imagine how Canadian gun owners take to C-68,
a law that requires them to apply for licenses and register each and every
firearm that they own. Pay attention; the Canadian experience holds some
nasty lessons for residents of the balmy states south of the border.
(UNquote)

IF this interests you, check out:
http://civilliberty.about.com/culture/issuescauses/civilliberty/library/weekly/aa10 2599.htm

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited October 29, 1999).]

You don't have to go to Canada ;)

We have our own homegrown versions: New York City(handguns and they even promised it wouldn't lead to banning/confiscation) and California "assault rifles"

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

DC, Remember that NYC required the registration of "assault rifles" sometime back and then a few years later confiscated them.

While the state of Michigan requires that handguns be registered, the State Police keeping the records, for a long time all the records were kept on file cards. A few years back, before converting to computers, there was a fire that destroyed many of those records. Therefore, many registerd pistol has no record with the MSP. Let us hear it for fires and other problems.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

This is where my obedience to the law ends.
I will never register my firearms.
If required:
"Guns? What Guns? Oh - Yeah - I used to own a gun or two - but those got sold. Yeah - Sold them back in Virginia before I moved to Utah..."

NYC, Kali, Canada... BITE ME!

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

"What guns sold them a while back", yeah at one of the Arms Baazars, you know the place where clinton said you can buy and sell with no records of transactions, legally. I just remembered I sold all mine at the last baazar. I only visit this forum for academic reasons.

George, I think that's a great idea. Unfortunately, IL had its registration system in place before I was able to legally own a gun and long before it ever occurred to my father not to trust the government implicitly. The ones I own are all registered and I'm in the system as a FOID card holder. If I claim I sold them, the lack of records means I'm either a criminal because I'm lying or a criminal for not keeping the records correctly.
"Of course, there was that unfortunate house fire a few years back, when I figured there was no sense in claiming a couple of guns for the insurance, sir . . . ."

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

Back