Guns at Sea

Futo Inu

Although this doesn't affect me personally, I am curious about it. My gunslinger aunt & uncle are going to retire in a sailboat and cruise round & about the globe on the boat for a few years. Their understanding is that due to the strict gun laws of most countries (e.g. Mexico), having ANY kind of gun on board can get you in deep doo-doo; AND that by docking at a port-o-call, you are consenting to a full search, and that authorities often do undertake full searches of boats for various reasons; no further consent required. But they say that since you can fire a 12-guage emergency flare from a shotgun, you are allowed to have one 12-guage shotgun for this purpose. So they are taking along a buttload of 12 guage rounds with 700 grain slugs they cast themselves, which they say will do quite nicely in penetrating the hull of approaching uninvited pirates. Anyone know any more about the gun laws when docking at various ports? I know that no other country can be expected to have the same sort of search & seizure protections that we enjoy in America, but it just seems quite invasive to be told you can't keep a pistol or rifle on board just because you're floating in the water off their country's shores.

I would be very careful in maintaining arms in foreign ports. Their jails are not very nice. It would be important to get information from specific countries before they arrive.

A non-threatening shotgun such as the new stainless Ruger O/U might be more acceptable than a riot gun. Or a line launching system included with a riot gun. Also a bunch of ammo might frowned upon.

I think you will find that the "probable cause" for search and seizure is a US invention.

I am not aware of any country that lets civilians from other countries bring firearms in with out official permission.

I am surprised that the 12 Ga. is allowed. In fact, I am very surprised and would get official documentation before I docked in another country. Check with the embassy per country.

The State Department has published warnings of hunters being jailed in Mexico for bringing in shotguns.

The neat thing about the State Department is that do not care a bit if you rot in jail. They will not intervene, nor will they help get you out. In fact, if an evacuation of the country is conducted by the Military like Monrovia or Somolia, they will bill you for the service. Fact.

Giz

------------------
"Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies..." LG, RIP

I don't know where your aunt and uncle got that info about being able to have a 12 gauge, but I'm willing to bet its wrong. Mexico in particular is becoming very anti-gun and I wouldn't risk carrying a pellet gun down there.

The high seas are one area where, even in US waters, your Constitutional rights are pretty much null and void. The Coasties don't even need probable cause to search your vessel.

If your Aunt and Uncle are going to sail the world, they better have a fast boat. Piracy is a huge business, paricularly in the Carribean and South China Seas.

Mexico is bad news.

5 yrs for having one live round...no gun, just the round.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

I don't know the answer either, but check with the Coast Guard about international maritime regulations. Seaports are often treated like international airports in that they are considdered a "no mans land" where international rules apply, not local.

I have sailed extensively in the carribbean and mediterranean and have never had a problem with my firearms (as long as they were properly secured and remained on the boat at all times). Cruise ships which dock in these ports (including Mexico) always carry quite an assortment of firearms. In some ports, you will see ship's security wearing them openly at the security checkpoint on the gangway (not on shore).

Again, check up on international law. There may be a permit required but I've never been asked for one. Good luck.

All countries have their own laws and in order to leave your vessel in a foreign port you must have authorization from the Harbormaster/Customs in that locale. Standard procedure would be to get permissions in writing before the trip. All countries will accept you for emergency shelter (any port in a storm).

Firearms is a whole 'nother ball of wax. Some countries laws change very regularly and rapidly. Best bet would be to get permits in writing from that country's embassy before departure. While in International waters you can have anything you want, but once inside teritorrial waters you are at the mercy of the country involved. By the way, different countries try to enforce different teritorrial waters. Another thing that can be done is to radio the port from international waters prior to entry to learn specifics.

There is no International right to a shotgun, however a shotgun with flares will suffice as a requirement for a signaling device. Having a buttload of ammo would be rather a bad thing. Most boats do carry firearms, and never have a problem, just pick your portcalls wisely. Certain ports in mexico right now are going nuts due to revolutionary activity.

Sorry so long winded, but this is a big topic and one where you can get into deep doo-doo if taken lightly. If any further info is wanted, e-mail me and I can check deeper into specifics.

------------------
TJS

Futo, I don't think that the international laws have gotten any better since the 60's!
IE: Yacht race from New Orleans to Cozumel and back. No big deal except one crewmember suffered a broken arm. Pulled into a non international port and things went to heck in a hand basket in a few milleseconds! Took lawyers, guns and money my friend.
YOU NEED ONE BUT YOU DON'T WANT TO BE CAUGHT WITH ONE!
We may live in a fu;c;d up country but try some others.
Good Sailing, Hank

Back