guns and cars

cana

Hi, guys! I wanna know one thing: where is your gun (or guns) while you're driving? Is it in a holster? Under the seat? Is it concealed? I'm asking this because where I live a sad case took place. One man was driving his car, with a pistol in front of his hip, but it wasn't concealed. A robber came close, acting like if he wanted to sell flowers (he had some in his hands). When he saw that the driver was armed, he fired and killed the driver with a single bullet in the head. So, I'd like to see your answers.
Happy new year!

Always in direct control but NOT exposed. If it is not in my holster (discomfort due to IWB when sitting) it is being heated by my ass.

FJC

Well I live out in the "country" sorda. When I do go into the city, which is relativley small and quiet. I keep my gun on the seat beside me in a holster. Around these parts people don't get out in the streets and sell flowers (thank God). But if for some strange reason some sap did come up to my car window out in the street he would get a .45 stuck in his face rather quickly. If I saw a gun or knife then some sap would hold a cap. I sure am glad we don't have folks running up to our cars trying to sell us crap here. ;)

------------------
Give me liberty or give me death !!

Stay alive, shoot a .45 !!

[This message has been edited by Glocks&Sigs (edited January 02, 2000).]

Here in the South it is not unusual to see a hostered pistol stuck between the seats of most cars.. I drive my pick-up during the week and I usually notice 7-10 armed citizens while on my way to work.. I just give them the thumbs up sign.. I normally keep my pistol in the center console of the truck.. If need be, I can always use the mossburg 12ga in the gunrack behind me. Dang! I sound like a Redneck.. ha ha

Cana:

Hello.

If I'm on a short drive and I am able to carry concealed then it is on my belt. If I am not able to carry concealed (i.e. on my way to work or on a long trip) then my pistol lies in wait in a Boyt pistol rug out of sight but within 5 inces of my left knee between my seats. My back-up usually sits in the glove box so my lovely wife can help out if need be.

Most of the time though my weapon is on me.

X

[This message has been edited by X-KILL (edited January 03, 2000).]

I mounted a cheap nylon holster on the back of the center console in my fj60 land cruiser. It will hold all of our handguns (P228, Beretta 96 and USP45 compact), and I usually put one there while driving. Very easy access, and it can't be easily seen from outside the truck.

cana, If my gun is not on me in the holster, its in the center console,very close at hand.
We don't have people running up to cars to sell things in my area either. Not yet anyway.But I still try to stay aware of whats going on around me though.

------------------
Help Stamp Out Gun Ignorance.

If you have bucket seats, along the driver's seat back down in the crack between the seat side and the handbrake behind the seatbelt attachment with the butt sticking up. Someone approaching from either side will have a tough time seeing you and as you turn they will probably think you are turning to ignore them or putting your hand back to disconnect to get to your wallet. Either way your body will be hiding the pistol from their direct view. If you think he has the drop on you you can still forget the gun and tell him you were just disconnecting the seatbelt to get to the wallet. The pistol will still be hidden from his view. Check it out for yourself. Hopefully, they will then go away with no further damage. After that let your understanding of the law be your guide. Remember, when you shoot, your troubles are just beginning. Obviously, he feels he has nothing to lose in this situation. Down here, as they approach the car I wave them away emphatically with my left hand with as grim a look as I can muster, while shaking my head no, as my right hand slips back to the pistol. If they keep coming, I start looking for the out I hope I was able to leave myself. The window never comes down in town. So far it has worked for me, but who knows about primetime with someone willing to take your wallet and your life. Thank goodness for airconditioning. Unless the perp has a fairly good size caliber pistol the glass will provide some level of protection, especially if you can get some deflection on the glass. Windshields are pretty good stoppers against weak handguns and the view of your car turning towards him might make him think twice about him continuing his advance (although this entails legal risks- the car is a lethal weapon also). I will take the nasty looks and horns all day or be willing to discuss the situation witn any police officer, who might be willing to question my actions. I think you will find a sympathetic ear for the most part. In Louisiana, it got so bad with carjackings that they passed a law saying its ok to shoot someone who is running towards your car and you think they are going to carjack you. I understand that particular crime is on the wane as a result. HMMMM.....

Back