Gun "upgrade"

Drummer101

I am thinking about upgrading my current shotgun (Beretta 3901 12 ga 28")

This would be an "all around gun" but I enjoy sporting clays and skeet.

I am looking at the a400.

One thing (along with others) I am having trouble with is that I have to shoot left handed because of my eyes.

With my 3901 I get gas in the face every so often and I dont like how it tastes.

Here is what I have been able to decipher so far I think....

A400 Excel (blue): Right hand only but stock is adjustable to left handed, but the kick-off rubs against the cheek, able to do 7/8 oz load with ease.

A400 Xplor Unico (bronze): Left hand option, after a break in able to do the 7/8 oz loads, but the left hand version has the kick off that rubs the cheek.

A400 Xplor Action: Right hand only but stock can be made left handed, can do 7/8 oz loads after break in, but is the light weight version.

A400 Xtreme Unico (camo): Right hand only but stock can be made left handed and has the kick off behind the grip and after time able to do the 7/8 loads.

I do not have any hands on experience yet but I would hope to before I would buy.

In a perfect world I would like to have the kick off immediately behind the grip while being able to do the powder puff 7/8 and 3/4 loads. Is there a model which does this? Is my little summary correct?

Since you need a left handed gun...I would not recommend any of the right hand options...

There are a limited number of left handed options on the market...especially in semi-auto's....but like you've found, Beretta has a couple ...and so does Benelli...and at least the Benelli is not gas - its inertia operated / and if you go with the synthetic stocks that have the comfort tech system in them - recoil is a little heavier than most gas guns but certainly not bad in my view ( I shoot a Benelli Super Sport model ...in both a 12ga and a 20ga...as travel guns / kind of do everything pretty well ) - and they're inertia guns with comfort tech in them.

Another option is to consider an Over Under...both Beretta and Browning make a few options for you ....( like the 725 series, Citori, has at least one left handed gun ).../ personally, all of my primary guns are Over Unders, and I like them as a good general purpose gun in the field, for sporting clays and trap and skeet.../ but they're more money....

I used the SBE ll (with the comfort tech stock) left handed once and I thought it kicked like a mule compared to me 3901... Could have just been me that day with a bruised shoulder.

I thought about doing an O/U, but then I was thinking for the amount of money I am able to spend ($1,500 - $1,900ish), I could get a top of the line semi, or a middle of the road O/U (new or used).

I think I would rather save more down the road later in life and just buy a nice O/U that really fits.

Last edited:
I'm left handed, shoot left handed, and am left eye dominate. I also have a Beretta A400 eXcel with the factory kickoff that I purchased last year for my girlfriend. Out of the box the stock seemed to have a neutral cast and I don't have any problems shooting it. Never once noticed gas hitting my face.

With the shims from beretta for the stock I am not so worried about left hand fit. A true left handed gun would be the preference but not a deal killer (Heck 99.5% of the time I am fine with my gun for gas in the face issues).

If we're talking 12ga only.....a 1 oz load of 8's at 1225 fps ....is all I need to break any Trap or Sporting clays target...let alone for Skeet...for practice or in competition / so an Inertia gun shouldn't be that drastically different in terms of recoil for that load ....but "Fit" is a big part of it..!

If you go with an O/U ....for a gun that will last you a lifetime / I really like the Browning or the Beretta's...and $ 1,500 isn't going to buy you much of anything even used.../ and new you're closer to $3K - $ 4K --- depending on what you really need for Fit.

Personally I like a parallel comb gun ( like the older model of the Citori XS Skeet - in a 30" barrel - its about 8.5 lbs...) and its a great gun. The parallel comb will have enough adjustment for cast that you might get enough adjustment ...but most of them have the "palm swell" for right handed shooters..../ but I know there were a few around for "Lefties" even though it was never in the Browning catalog. But there should be something out there...if you shop some of the bigger shotgun online dealers ( look in Shotgun Sports magazine ) ..pick one up on a newsstand...they have a lot of dealers / used guns in there....

I am going to be trying to get to the range this weekend (pending weather, 80% chance of rain).

On a side note I got invited to a charity shoot today but it is 100 clays (using their ammo which I think is rather odd), normally with my 3901 after about 50 I tend to get a bit sore, not sure I could keep it up for 100.

Perhaps they want you to use their ammo since a lot of charity shooters show up with hunting loads. That or it is a means to raise more funds for the charity (or the club hosting the event).

50 shells ...and a sore anything...is an indication you have some "fundamental problems" ...like lifting your head.../ or the gun may not fit you right...

Even 250 shells a day....for 4 or 5 days in a row ...in a tournament situation / can be mentally fatiguing...but it should not make your shoulder or face sore...!

You need to find a mentor locally - that can watch you shoot some targets / and help you out a little bit ...and see what is causing your issues. Don't invest in a different gun - until you get all this worked out.

Good - I think that is smart..../....

..... but don't overlook the talent at your local club ..( not usually the most vocal guys ) but some of the better shooters that have really smooth swings....and ask if they can help you out / maybe watch you shoot a few targets / recommend a DVD or something for some tips...

There are a lot of good DVD's out there on fundamentals ...Todd Bender has some on Skeet ( and all of the Skeet fundamentals transfer to sporting clays )....Bobby Fowler, Jr and others on sporting clays...( and they all discuss Fit - a little bit )....

As a LH shooter, I own several A400s. I have the target version called the Xcel. It performs flawlessly and should not present any issues to a LH shooter. I actually prefer the RH guns like these as I can hold the gun in my left hand at the wrist, drop a shell in the chamber, hit the release with that same right hand and easily load a second round in the chamber.

If you are seriously focusing on the target, you will never see the empty ejecting. ALWAYS wear eye protection however, just in case.

Agreed.

I am a Left Handed shooter and I think the shell port on the right side is ideal whether shooting a pump or auto.

Immediate access ....great visibility.

Never must shift your left hand grip.

Back