Gun store etiquette: inspecting used rifle

gaseousclay

I’ve only ever owned 2 used hunting rifles and my other 2 were bought new. I no longer own the hunting rifles but when I had them they were purchased via gunbroker and sent to my FFL. I don’t recall inspecting them at the time because they were listed as safe queens but I did inspect them at home.

So, how do you typically inspect a used firearm from a gun store? Do you bring stuff like a bore light? I’m asking because one of my LGS’s has a couple of Winchester 94’s but I’d want to inspect first. What are the do’s and don’ts?

Two different worlds ?? !!

Gun store etiquette: inspecting used rifle
You are dealing with two different sellers and consequently, two different methods. Lets list some of the differences.

Internet Sales;
Inspection at your FFL is fine and to a limited degree, he has done some of this. Your FFL is not responsible for any issues, you might have except perhaps is arranging return shipping. At any rate, you will have to work out the details and issues with the "seller".

FFL-Gun Store;
You can surely inspect the firearm, in his shop, prior to purchasing but there are some restrictions that you will have to coordinate with the shop. Bore inspection is in line. Don't short-change any questions. Be patient with the process. Follow the four safety rules as he will be observing. .... :)

I once witnessed negotiations between a buyer and FFL-shop owner. The buyer asked if he could disassemble a 1911. The dealer gave permission and buyer proceeded to break it down. I questioned the dealer about it and he replied; He buys a lot of guns from me and knows what he is doing!!!
Works for Me !!!

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
I really don't think the word "etiquette" applies,,,
What I'm saying is there are no rules to what you can ask.

If I'm looking at a rifle,,,
I fully expect to be allowed to scope the bore,,,
If the dealer won't allow that I will assume he's hiding something.

In that event I won't curse at him or anything stupid,,,
I'll just explain I won't buy it if he won't allow it.

It's up to him at that point.

Pistols are a bit different,,,
I still want to inspect them closely,,,
Especially for a used gun to determine the wear it's seen.

But even for a new gun I won't buy it if I can't closely inspect it.

Here's an example that happened recently.

I wanted to buy one of the new Taurus TX-22 pistols,,,
I take a small bore lamp with me when I'm shopping.

One store I went into said "no problem",,,
When I wanted to inspect the gun I would be buying.

It's a good thing too because that new Taurus had a very bad barrel,,,
The chatter in the rifling was very obvious.

I went to another store still looking to buy a TX-22,,,
The clerk at Bass Pro would not let me inspect the gun he brought out.

I found a manager type and he finally allowed me to inspect it,,,
This pistol had the same bad bore as the other.

I went to a third store and there the manager flat refused,,,
Needless to say I still don't own one.

The point of this long ramble is this,,,
Gun stores typically (as in every one I know of now) won't take a bad gun back.

They will tell you that it's a warranty problem,,,
And that "you" need to contact the manufacturer about it.

That alone is reason enough to require that they let you inspect the gun.

So I say, "Etiquette be hanged!",,,
I will be as polite and as friendly as possible,,,
But if they won't let me inspect the gun I'm out the door.

Aarond

Mutual Respect ???

So I say, "Etiquette be hanged!",,,
I will be as polite and as friendly as possible,,,
That is called being respectful and it's a two-way street. ...... ;)

Be Safe !!!

If you're at a gun shop, especially one run by a gunsmith, they'll understand what you want, and why.

if you're buying from a dept store (even if "sporting goods" is in their name), they may not.

If they won't let me at least check the bore, they aren't getting my $.

First part of buying used guns is knowing what you're looking at and what to look for. Just want to buy a used gun and hope you'll get a treasure? Go right ahead, you'll just as likely pick up someone else's problems. I can't tell you the number of times some local guy went to the gun show or pawn shop and came back home with a gun that needs work or is not what he was really looking for. Lots of 93 Mausers have been sold to people looking for 98s. Often, they could have bought a much better condition gun for the same amount of money instead of spending more to have the local gun mechanic get it back into shape. Just buying a gun because tou wanted one of that model when you were a kid is a recipe for disaster, especially as you get older and those guns get older as well.

Flip side of that coin is the store knowing how to present guns so people can buy them. Having the guns ready to sell, either by cleaning or wiping down, and having bore lights and reasonable inspection lighting really goes a long way towards giving the customer a good feeling about the transaction. If I go into a darkish corner to look at guns, I always assume the seller is trying to hide something or is not serious about giving customers good service.

Just want to buy a used gun and hope you'll get a treasure? Go right ahead, you'll just as likely pick up someone else's problems.
Bingo--sums it up right there. Case in point, customer just bought a beautiful used Weatherby with deluxe stock etc--this is a gun he will use on his hunts around the world, so he relies on his firearms to go bang and put the bullet reasonably close to his point of aim. He brought it to me and asked me to clean it up and zero for him, I did so but accuracy was erratic and I wasn't sure why. I should have done it long ago--but I finally invested in a high-quality borescope; and it revealed damage to the bore and crown, though not quite a "nightmare burnout" yet. I've bought my share of used dogs in my time, (and a few brand new ones that also were essentially junk).

It’s this simple. Bring your stuff in, explain what you are going to do as you are doing it.

While you and I may do some level of inspection, realize that most folks do not and cannot. These folks buy guns everyday.

If your goal is to detail strip, understand you will generally be asked not to. If you try to clean the bore, you will likely be told no.

Basic safety and functional checks have never been an issue when I ask first, except at Cabelas.

That's why I like consignment sales--generally the FFL holder has nothing to lose but some wall space and he gets a cut for doing pretty much nothing and likely already has a bottom-end floor price with the seller who is motivated to simply get rid of the guns. I've bought used guns at bigger LGS's which are highly restrictive of their return policies; in general if they purchase the used gun they will run up the price as high as they can regardless of the condition--and in that instance I will no longer consider buying one unless I can do a detailed examination. I bought 3 rifles from a LGS without doing a detailed examination and all 3 were dogs. My support your local LGS philanthropy has its limits. Some of the LGS I suspect if you bought a gun from them NIB, took it out and shot 10 cartridges through it and then returned to the same store a few days later wanting to sell it to them, I figure you would be lucky if they paid you half what you just bought it from them for.

Last edited:
I mainly want to check a few things: bore condition, crown condition and to make sure there’s no visible cracks in the wood. One of my LGS’s is a pawnshop and the 2 Winchester 94’s they have for sale have been sitting in their shop for awhile. I just want to make sure I’m not getting a lemon

"...don't think the word "etiquette" applies..." Yes, it does. In the Queen's English, the word means 'the set of rules or customs that control accepted behaviour in particular social groups or social situations.'.
For example, if you point any firearm at or towards anybody(even by accident) or dry fire the thing without asking, you'll most likely be kicked out. Not just asked to leave.
However, if any shop won't let you inspect a used rifle, go some place else. It's very much like buying a used car, except you won't get to actually get to 'test drive' the thing.
You don't really need a bore light. You can inspect a barrel by putting your thumb of a bit of paper in the open action.
With a Win 94, unless it's a vintage rifle, it's unlikely to be in bad condition. Them being mostly deer rifles. It's usually acceptable, in most places, to try the trigger while having a finger in front of the hammer. Mind you, Win 94 triggers aren't normally great.
Oh and the best time to look at used deer rifles is after your local deer season. Prices are usually better then.

This was quite a few years back when Sears still sold rifle. I was looking at a Model53 in 30-06 which is nothing more than a Winchester M70 push feed with a blind magazine and a few cosmetic changes. I removed the bolt and then asked the clerk if this was a new gun. My reasoning was the bore was filthy. He assured me that it was but I had strong doubts. I then asked him to check to see if it might have been returned. Well he balked and acted all insulted so I asked to see his supervisor. He wasn't too happy but complied. I explained to his boss what my concerns were and told him that I'd asked if the clerk would check the bound book to see if had been a return. Well the book got checked and yes, it was a return. The manager asked it I would still take it for a better price. I said OK depending on the price. I got it for their cost, $75.00. I made a decent shooter out of it and sold it for a decent profit. As I left I noticed the manager was talking to the clerk and he did not have a happy face.
FWIW, I check out any gun I'm thinking of buying, new or used.
Paul B.

Bring your own bore light (or use your phone flash light).
ask before you pull the bolt out. I don't know why people get touchy about this. I think that probably there's a history there of people janking up nice rifles trying to remove bolts. Sometimes people want to do this for you. I ask.
Otherwise, if in doubt, ask first.

My main gun shop / knife shop etiquette rule - I will always ask to handle the item before I pick it up. And if you're looking at quality knives, don't be flapping your gums too much while you're handling them, - a tiny speck of spittle will leave a mark on a carbon steel knife. This will endear you to the knife / gun seller.

If you take your hands off the firearm that you're inspecting, and subsequently...not giving an offer to buy it --- The firearm is fair game for anybody else to pick it up and offer to buy it.

Basically if you have to ask how to check out a gun, you are at a disadvantage. When I go to buy vehicles I take my Bro, a motor head. Same thing applies to guns, if you don’t have the knowledge, take along one who does. When I buy on line it’s from forums only. The sellers are usually protecting a reputation and won’t misrepresent their gun. I’ve bought over 100 Guns off forums. A few NIB but the others were all as represented, plus. Only had one that was misrepresented and that guy quit a forum after 10yrs rather than admit scam. In shops and shows if I can’t inspect to satisfy myself I walk on.

Etiquette

That is exactly the right word. Beyond just handling the gun, ask permission. It's not your property (yet)

If the seller is not comfortable, ask them to show you what you would like to inspect.

Just to clarify, the firearms that I saw at my LGS are behind a shoulder high counter, so I have to ask to inspect regardless. For a Winchester 94, i'd ask them if I can cycle the lever so that I can inspect the bore, but i'd want to check the crown as well as see if there are any hairline cracks in the wood. I'm just not sure what else to look for when inspecting a lever gun.

Etiquette works both ways....or should

For a Winchester 94, i'd ask them if I can cycle the lever..

When the counterman hands you the gun, the action SHOULD BE OPEN. Sure, HE knows its not loaded, but YOU don't, and its just basic safety as well as common courtesy to open the action so you can see its's unloaded before handing it to you.

If I am ever handed a gun, action closed, the first thing I do is open the action to ensure no round in the chamber, and I don't, and won't ask permission to do that.

IF it is some kind of design I am not familiar with, I will ask them to open it, before I take it.

When the counterman hands you the gun, the action SHOULD BE OPEN. Sure, HE knows its not loaded, but YOU don't, and its just basic safety as well as common courtesy to open the action so you can see its's unloaded before handing it to you.

Good point. I'll make sure to mention it to the clerk next time before he hands me the rifle.

Back