Gun stock

Tlewis81

I recently purchased a custom laminate stock and its a bit big for my receiver and needs to be sanded....after sanding...its walnut btw what can i coat the outside to protect it from the elements as it is a hunting gun

The wood should be epoxy impregnated, so you shouldn't have to get too crazy with the weatherproofing.

But, for a nice finish that closes the pores and fills the grain, Helmsman's Spar Urethane is said to work well on most laminates. Be sure to get the outdoor version.

For even better chemical resistance and durability, you could have an automotive clear coat sprayed on the stock.

I've always used Tru-Oil; but have recently started finishing some gunstocks with Brownells Acra-Coat:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...inishes/acra-coat-wood-prod1162.aspx?psize=48

Should you try it, experiment with it first on some scrap wood. First time I used it I was a bit too close, and sprayed heavy- got a couple of runs. There is no solvent that will cut it- I had to wait two days for it to cure enough to sand it off. After that, four or five light coats about 15-20 minutes apart (it tacks up quickly) and it cures to a rock-hard, waterproof finish. Because it's an epoxy, like oils- it takes several days to a week to cure enough for service.

Back