Gun stock White Line, help?

kmw1954

The Richards Microfit stock that I am presently working on has the While Line at the fore-end Rosewood cap and the Rosewood Grip cap. My problem is that after I started sanding this stock the White Line has become discolored in spots and I cannot seem to remove this. Anyone with suggestions? I have tried sanding in just the direction of the Rosewood and also sanding and wiping with fresh Tru Oil to no avail!

I assume the white line is the spacer between the forearm and the rosewood tip and the same with the cap. Are you wet sanding with Truoil? If so, the sanding dust from the wood is becoming part of the finish. You might have to remove the finish by dry sanding, at least in the area of the spacers, and use mineral spirits to clean up the white part. I have a walnut stock by Richard's that I finished. I wet sanded with Truoil to fill in the pores in the wood. The spacers are a light bronze color, as it made no esthetic difference to me if they weren't white.

That would be correct. They are Maple wood White spacers. With help from a member on another forum as you say I had to dry sand the white spacers and they are now looking much better.
Now I will let dry until tomorrow night and then sand and maybe apply the first full strength coat.

Thanks, I was able to get some help from the forums and again yes I am absolutely enjoying this whole experience.

Might not turn out perfect but I think I will still be proud of the finished product. Also I am enjoying this enough that I may try another.

I have to say that many commented to me before I bought this stock that they were a lot of work. So for it has proven to be much less work than I expected!

Back