Gun Spinning with non-firing replica

Southpaw54

Inactive
Although I would never try it with a real gun, I'm just getting started (strictly for fun) with basic gun spinning using a non-firing Denix replica .45 Colt Peacemaker, 4 3/4" barrel. So far, I've been able to do a tolerable back spin, but can't pull off a front spin to save my soul. Any suggestions?

Just takes time and practice. For a forward spin, just practice letting the gun fall forward on its own momentum. Don't worry about finishing the full spin until you get a feel for how it falls. When I gravitated to real guns, I practiced over a mattress so the inevitable drop didn't hurt the gun.

I would (almost) sell my soul to the devil (not really) to be able to holster a SA revolver like Alan Ladd does in the movie " Shane" after the big shootout with Wilson , Ryker and Ryker's brother ... I just watched it again on wikipedia... Man that is one slick move looks like a forward spin then a back spin right into the holster ...S L I C K !!!
I bought a Ruger Wrangler , tried to do a simple spin ...but man it looks a lot harder than it is ... I need someone to show me basic's ... a little talent wouldn't hurt either .
I tried a simple spin while standing over the bed ... in case it falls , nothing gets hurt . The Wrangler is 4 3/4 " SA almost the size of a Colt .
Good luck Southpaw54 ... it's a challange !
Gary

holster a SA revolver like Alan Ladd does in the movie " Shane"

He may have learned how to twirl a single action, but when the shooting started, he was yanking and cranking on a double action, as did many other actors.

Anecdote Alert:
We had a guy who could spin holster a Sig Sauer automatic. Impressed his girlfriend no end, but the IPSC range officer promptly disqualified him. Never saw him on the range again.

Yep, Shane was a classic for sure. Miss the old Westerns. HOMBRE with Paul Newman was a favorite. Hombre up at the top of the mine shaft with his Winchester pointed down that hill was great.
I have attempted to twirl my Ruger Blackhawk a few times, but decided to quite while I was ahead. A broken finger would not benifit my shooting. I am pretty good with my Smith 642.
If I decide to open carry, think I will get a rig like Wilson. Might make the bad guys think twice.

PFwIDwg.jpg

RG4f5OH.jpg

MXwIUv1.jpg

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Main_Page

Last edited:
Southpaw54 said:
Although I would never try it with a real gun, I'm just getting started (strictly for fun) with basic gun spinning using a non-firing Denix replica .45 Colt Peacemaker, 4 3/4" barrel.
If the Denix SAA clone is anything like their 1911 clone, it's a rather poor quality lump of pot metal. I very much doubt that the balance is anywhere near the same as a real Colt SAA.

gwpercle said:
I bought a Ruger Wrangler , tried to do a simple spin ...but man it looks a lot harder than it is ... I need someone to show me basic's ... a little talent wouldn't hurt either .
I tried a simple spin while standing over the bed ... in case it falls , nothing gets hurt . The Wrangler is 4 3/4 " SA almost the size of a Colt .
The Wrangler, like the Ruger Single Six, is smaller than a real SAA and balances differently. I can do a decent (not great, but decent) spin with a Single Six. I can't spin a SAA at all.

Back