gun shows

pedro45

Folks, could you advise if there will be any good Gun Shows nearby, meaning near Albany, NY on out towards the middle of Mass. I've heard that they are a good way to purchase some new or used guns. And also can one buy non-approved hand guns at a show and own them in Mass, please advise, thanks, pete

AFAIK, It's against Mass Law for any FFL in Mass to sell an unauthorized handgun to a Mass resident - so most Mass FFL's won't have a Mass-unauthorized handgun on their table, like FFL's from other states attending the show (CT, ME, NY, VT, NH) "might" .

The only unauthorized handguns allowed in Mass are those that are "grandfathered" - IOW, already in the state before the law was passed (IDK the cutoff date).

Because the non-Mass FFL's are aware that unauthorized handguns cannot be sold to a Mass resident (the bulk of show attendee's), most don't bother to tote them to Mass shows.

Non-Mass residents can buy a gun in Mass, but the gun must be shipped to the buyer's transferring FFL.
(There's a few, but not many, "good" deals to be had @ a New England gunshow, BTW)

You just missed a huge gunshow (held about 4x/year), at the Big-E exposition center in West Springfield, MA - in the last week or so.

A gunshow runs a few times a year @ the Hartford (CT) Civic Center - but I disremember the next date(s).

Hey thanks, you all, sorry I missed that big one at Eastern States, that would have been a hop and a skip for me. Now conversely can I buy a gun at an out of Massachusetts gun show and have it sent through and FFL to me here (by the way, what the heck does FFL mean?)

An FFL is a Federal Firearms Licensee, a licensed gun dealer. There are a number of "wrinkles" on firearms transfers. You have to know both state and federal law in doing them, or you risk some very serious criminal penalties.

Federal law, in very broad strokes, says:
1) A US resident can buy a long gun from any FFL, and have it transferred in a face-to-face transaction.
2) A US resident can buy a handgun from any FFL, but the transfer of said handgun must go through an FFL in the buyer's state of residence.

As for state law, I'm afraid that I don't know what state you're in, and likely do not know the ins and outs of your state law (unless you're in Arkansas, which seems unlikely).

Okay, folks, I need to go back to the drawing board obviously because I failed miserably to get across what I want. Now first off, I now understand why I was confused: your answers sort of sum up why I was confused in the first place; what you wrote on the laws in general IS confusing because the laws you're trying to explain are nuts! I live in Mass (God help me) So I was writing because I'd gotten the idea from reading many discussions online on gun forums that there are ways to legally (of course, legally, I'm a freaking public High School teacher and director of our food pantry) buy guns that are not necessarily on the Mass approved list because of being grandfathered (which I don't understand well) or from buying used guns from Mass or from out of state FTF (face to face,) now perhaps I misunderstood this face to face business, but anyway, I've been shooting as many guns as possible, and I've become fond of the Springfield XD 9mm and the XD 9mm sc also, both of which are NOT approved in Mass, are there guns I can buy new in Mass that are as good and similar to those? thanks, please advise, pete

Thanks for making a clearer statement about your situation.

The points of law, for a Mass resident are:

*A Mass resident may purchase and/or take posession of, a long gun or a handgun from a Mass FFL-holder, only - period.

*Mass handgun posession requires the Mass resident have a Mass carry permit.

*Handguns may be purchased by a Mass resident, only if they have a Mass permit - AND if the subject handgun is on the Mass-approved list.

*If a Mass resident purchases a long gun or a handgun from a non-Mass FFL-holder, the firearm MUST be shipped to a Mass FFL holder for transfer (for which there are transfer fees, of course).

*No Mass FFL-holder (aka: dealer) is allowed to accept a handgun not on the Mass-approved list from anybody - unless the subject handgun is from a Mass owner, who posessed the gun prior to the passage of the Mass gun law (aka: a "grandfathered" handgun).

* Non-Mass FFL-holders, operating inside Mass (like at a Mass gun show), must follow Mass Law.

For ANY buyer, ANY where - Under Federal Law (which is subject to State Law):

* A long gun may purchased, and posession directly taken, outside a buyer's state of residence from an FFL-holder ONLY - not from a non-FFL/private party/face-to-face.

* A handgun may be purchased, again only from an FFL-holder, outside the buyer's state of residence - but direct posession is prohibited, requiring the out-of-state FFL-holder to transfer/ship the handgun to a receiving FFL-holder in the buyer's state of residence for subsequent transfer to the buyer.

* A face-to-face firearms tranfer (w/o FFL) may only take place between residents of the same state; and ONLY if their particular State or Municipal Law does not prohibit such transfer (includes shipping/mailing within the same state).

SOoooooo -

As a Mass resident you can purchase a long gun from anyone/anywhere - but you cannot take direct posession w/o the firearm being transferred through a Mass FFL-holder.

As a Mass resident, you can take posession of any handgun on the Mass-approved list - but only from a Mass FFL-holder, AND if you have a Mass carry permit.

As a Mass resident, you can take posession of any handgun not Mass-approved - but only if the handgun was owned by another Mass resident prior to the passage of the gun law (aka: "grandfathered"); and IF you have a Mass carry permit & take posession from a Mass FFL-holder.

Unlike many other states, Mass Law prohibits Mass residents from buying and firearm FTF (face-to-face), anywhere, w/o having it shipped to a Mass FFL-holder for transfer to the buyer.

Due to the severe penalties involved, any Mass resident would be well-advised to take further questions to the Mass Attorney's General office for resolution/clarification.

Last edited:
Hi folks, and again, thank you so much for so much advice and input. I'm pleased to say I bought the first gun of my life today!
I bought a Mossberg 500 tactical with two barrels, 1-18.5 " and another with a 20' barrel with a magazine extension to hold 8 in total, it comes with three different stocks (right word?), a regular, a pistol grip, and then a pistol grip with a regular shoulder stock, too. on sale: 340 bucks.... I'm very pleased, can't wait to get to range, but also to take some lessons for it.
Now I just need a good full size 9mm for the range, etc., and then a nice compact conceal carry....

I'm not exactly an expert on Moss 500 prices, but that sounds like a good deal. It's an often-recommended shotgun. I'm an 870 guy myself, but I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at a Mossberg.

BAUUR! (Buy Ammo, Use Up, Repeat!)

The "go-to" source, for Massachussett's firearms questions/issues , is G.O.A.L. (Gun owner's Action League).

Here's their info page on inheriting a gun in MA:

http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/inherit.html

BATF is the source for questions about Federal Law.

Here's some inheritance answers:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120320145105AAXpaR3

Some states, however, may have laws requiring a different action, or a prohibition - each individual should check with their state's Attorney's General for guidance.

Reading post number 7 how does one pass on a gun to their offspring?

1. Give to him/her (for no $)
2. Bequeath it in to him/her in your will

In most free states, it is that easy. Now with MA laws, I would assume that he/she needs to have the appropriate license in order to possess it. I am not a MA resident and not familiar with your laws, so check the laws out.

Thanks PetahW. The link that you provided says the person that gets the gun must get a license (they have 180 days to do so) and register the gun with the state.

Well that is a heads up. I KNOW there are folk in my state (MN) that look at Mass. and say "Boy! We should do that here!"

Back