gun show STEAL!!!!

kwells6

Bored and driving around, I caught wind of a local gun show... well, i was bored and had a few of my weapons that i had just got done at the range with.

so im in there browsing around and i neded up selling a Saiga .410 with folding stock for around $350. with those funds, i picked up a romanian .22 trainer for $40.

I had about given up in my search for a Carcano 91/24 when i came across this stand. this gentleman had a milk crate full of old rusty pistols. i noticed a French nagant version revolver, but nothing else. Well, i decided to dig a little deeper and at the VERY bottom of the crate, i saw IT! it meaning a C96 Broomhandle Mauser, the Bolo model!!!! I finagled with the man for a bit and ended up loosing my Stevens 200 in .223 and $200. so... inevitably i was out $550?

This weapon is not the prettiest, but with some time and TLC, she'll shine like a beauty.

Sounds too good to be true but that doesn't make it impossible. Unfortunately many unscrupulous individuals make replicas to pass off as real or take a real C96 and try to make it into a rare variety. Invest in a book about them and do some research. One must wonder how the guy seemingly didn't know what he had? That's always a red flag IMO. If you got a genuine AND unmolested broomhandle you did get a great deal. Good luck

here are some pics.

the hand grips arent original. all other #'s are matching

Attachments

• Photo029.jpg
    Photo029.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 388
  • Photo031.jpg
    Photo031.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 272
  • Photo032.jpg
    Photo032.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 239
One wonders why the dealer would be dumb enough to keep a $500+ gun "buried" in a box of rusty pistols...then be smart enough to charge you that much? Guess if wasn't damaged from living in the rusty pistol box, wasn't refinished, doesn't have a dark or relined bore, has original grips in good condition, and doesn't have Chinese characters all over it you most likely did get a "steal"...otherwise you prolly got a good deal on a nice gun... :)

Milspec

I think it was maybe 10 years ago or more, that a bunch of well worn Mausers like that were imported from China. Apparently many had bad bores, and there are still people relining the bores for a moderate sum. Might have been one that someone bought from that Chinese lot, and just stuck back without doing anything with it? I don't think they were outrageously expensive at the time, as they were mostly probably not in shooting condition after 60 years of hard Chinese usage. Now of course they are scarce again.

Back