Gun show loophole? Need explanation...

fast200

The Virginia Governor and some families of the VT shootings made a statement today about the governors agenda for '08. It seems Mr Kaine plans legislation that would close the gun show loophole in Virginia.

My understanding of this "loophole" is that a potential law would not allow private citizens to purchase firearms at gun shows without background checks.

Is this the correct definition of the loophole when generally used by anti's or are they distorting the argument?

I know the governments argument for the closing of the loophole. What are the arguments against closing the loophole (don't bash me...I'm honestly trying to educate myself on the debate)? Is it simply an issue of an onerous burden on sellers at gunshows?

This is not the first attempt to pull this one. The way I understand it, They say since the FFL dealers need to do the check, They want on site provisions for the other people to do the same. Paper work, On Site back ground checks via telecoms. Paper Trail on all. Seller will be required to submit papers prior to departure of the sale. :eek:

I have no Proof of this , but that is what they want

There is no "loophole". Don't buy into the liberal proaganda. The anti-gun commies simply want to ban private sales of firearms.

So called loophole...

When the 94 AWB (Assault Weapons Ban) banned no assault rifles, but did ban semi auto rifles with bayonet lugs, flash hiders/suppressors, and pistol grips, the gun makers took off the flash hiders and bayonet lugs and made the pistol grips into (rather ugly) thumbhole stocks, thus complying with the law. Anti-gunners then claimed that gun makers were exploiting a "loophole" in the AWB.

This is more of the same bull! The "loophole" in gun shows is the sale of guns by private (non FFL) individuals to other non FFL individuals, under regular state and federal laws. The same as when someone sells a gun by putting an ad in the paper. If the state allows private sales anywhere, it allows tham at gun shows. States that allow face to face private sales do not, and cannot (under current law) require private citizens to do the background check of purchasers that FFL holders must do. All that is generally required is an honest belief that the buyer is not prohibited by law from purchase.

Since FFL dealers AND private individuals sell guns at gun shows, and FFL dealers a required to follow all the laws at a gun show that they follow at their regular place of business, they do background checks. Private sellers don't, and don't have to, by law, and that is the so called "loophole" that the gun banners want to close. In order to close this supposed "loophole", they would have to require ALL firearms sales to go through an FFL dealer, ending ALL face to face sales between private parties in your state. That is what they want, and they hide the truth behind the sound byte of "gun show loophole".

Hope this covers it for you.

Back