Gun Show in Norfolk

Doc Hoy

Went to the show in Norfolk and it was a little better represented than previous shows.

More vendors but still not much of a crowd. This time the vendors seemed to be a little more willing to negotiate prices.

.38 Special ammunition was going for $15 and $16 for fifty. I bought some from a gentleman I had mentioned previously on this forum; "Mac's Reloads".

Also bought a NIB stainless steel Cattleman .45 LC with a 7.5 inch barrel for 400.00. Couldn't pass it up.

Last edited:
Just looked at it more closely....

I was fiddling with it while watching "Open Range."

This pistol is marked Taylor's and Co. Winchester, VA.

That would be the same Taylor's that I drove to Winchester three weeks ago, just to be able to say that I stood in their shop.

Nice looking SAA Doc! You got a very good buy on it as well. I considered getting a stainless or nicked one but opted for the blued steel - identical to yours. Hopefully it will arrive by the end of next week. A lot of folks like shiny guns - I've never taken a liking to them for some reason but they do look nice!

Congrats and enjoy. I'm assuming it will go with you the next time you shoot?

Very nice !!; NIB !!!!

Also bought a NIB stainless steel Cattleman .45 LC with a 7.5 inch barrel for 400.00. Couldn't pass it up
Can't say that I blame you and very nice catch. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

Thanks fellers,

BBB,

I am not a shiny pistol guy either but I call shiny, nickel plated. If I were doing CAS events (which I never do) I have two 73 clones that are, I guess you would say, "antiqued". An antique furniture person might say they were "deliberately depressed." They look a little bit like they have been sitting around for a while.

Stainless steel isn't so bad I guess, but what drew me to this pistol was the price. It was marked 450.00. When I am at a show I always ask about a lower price. I don't care where it starts, I always ask for a better deal (I told you guys I am an unabashed tightwad.) He said he would do 400.00 and I said, "lemme go get my wife's pocketbook."

Date code is CM

2014?

Looks like after 2010 they skip "G", "J" and "K".

Box is in less than perfect shape but still complete and intact. Bunch of papers inside it but don't know if every document that was with the pistol when it was originally shipped is present. Has the original plastic bag.

So I said "NIB". But it should be restated. New, and never fired. Turned. With box and papers. The vendor told me he was considering it NIB and I did not dispute him.

Hey Doc . . . I don't blame yo for snatching that one up. Even with my preference for blued, I would have grabbed that one and LEARNED to like shiny! LOL :eek:

I have always liked "vintage" cartridge wheel guns. I have a number of older Smiths, a nice Colt 1910 Army Special, etc. - all with good honest wear on them and all great shooters. When I have bought "new" wheel guns - Ruger New Vaquero, my Uberti Bisley, etc. - it always takes some adjustment on my part to get used to something that looks "so new". :eek: I;m sure that overtime thought hey will get some "good honest wear". LOL

I do see one very good advantage to the stainless though - should be a little easier to clean after running BP cartridges through it? Or at least easier to "spot" areas that need to have a little more attention.

I think you got a great buy on it and you're like me . . . it doesn't cost anything to ask about lower price and several times, I've been pleasantly surprised at the reply of the seller - enough so that I bought it instead of saying "thanks but no thanks" and moving on. Odd that the show wasn't that well attended but then I'm sure that the Labor Day holiday may have had a lot to do with it.

Enjoy that new SAA and I'm looking forward to hearing what you are loading and how it shoots! Enjoy!

Jim

Three responses....

Sorry I missed you Noel...

Tnx, TK

Tnx, Berdan

3 Bs,

I was negotiating with a guy on a CZ70 in .380. He started at 350.00 Dropped it to 300.00. I was at 275.00 because I thought the finish on the pistol was a little whipped. It has been reblued and looked okay but the surfaces were not prepped right before bluing.

I did not criticize the pistol, I just told him how far I could go without being specific as to why. In the back of my mind was the SS Cattleman which I was pretty sure would go for a better price than the 450.00 it was marked for.

Yeah I picked up that CZ70 also, but pretty sure it was a stock 32acp. First glance I thought it was a CZ50 (which I want). It was in pretty good shape IIRC. I spoke to that gun blue guy for a while. Got a pretty good education. My wife bought some of his wood oil finish for a Hoosier cabinet she's working on. I plan to try that on a old walnut stock muzzle loader pistol (Jukar repro, not worth much). Nothing there really jumped out at me.

Oooops...I mis-spoke....

It was indeed a .32.

There was other vendors with Cold War autos.

Did the guy have it sitting on a box of .32 ammunition?

Tnx,

I don't recall what it was sitting on. i think his table was on the first row near the entrance. Gun show coming to Fburg this weekend. If sellers are willing to come down on price a bit now, I may just have to go.

Back