Gun Show Buy -- H&K 770, .308 Win

wachtelhund1

I currently have a H&K 300 and 630, both being great shooters. This Sunday, I found and purchase a H&K 770 in .308 win, at a very reasonable price. In fifteen years, this was the first H&K 770 that I have seen in a gun show. This H&K 770 was one of the first to be imported, as this one has no muzzle break. It was a little rough, but cleaned up very well. The bluing on the barrel was good, but the bluing on the receiver action cover was worn off from being carried. I removed the cover, degreased, heated and touched it up with Van's Instant bluing. It now looks good for a 30 year old rifle, this will eventually be hot blued. The buffer was cracked and beginning to break up. I replace it with a new one. Stock has a number of handling dings. Major fault is someone wiped a dark polyurethane finish over the factory finish and did a poor job. Stock needs to be striped and refinished. Yesterday, I milled inserts for the action cover holes and a scope mount base for it. It is now ready for a scope.

Here are some quick pictures of my new old H&K 770, .308 Win. Minus safety lever and sling studs. Scope base was milled (50% complete, front 2" still have to milled off and cross slots add the base, then aluminum black applied). Stock initially looked as if it was dragged behind a truck. It was stripped and steamed until 98% of the dings and gouges were removed. During the steaming wood was buffed with 0000 steal wool too remove remaining finish from wood pours. Stock still requires some sanding with 800 grit sand paper. No sealer or finish has been applied to the wood.

P2010030_zpsqxqirvmq.jpg

P2010031_zps6s8ntxpt.jpg

P2010036_zpsetyyqu7o.jpg

P2010034_zpsazu6ifxy.jpg

Nice find! So, once you get the stock to the point of applying the finish what will you use?

Do I understand that you are doing the milling for the scope?

It is a lot better looking gun than the 91 and 93. i like the wood!

ShootistPRS,
Yes, I'm doing the milling myself. Several years ago I picked a used Grizzly G0704 mill. Last year I put a three axis DRO on it.

Right now I'm steaming the stock. Steam will bring the natural walnut dye in walnut to the surface. Ever try to de-husk fresh walnuts? If so you'll understand. After that there sanding with 1000 grit sandpaper then there will be five or six coats of hand rubbed Arrow wood finish oil. Followed five or six coats of thinned clear gloss polyurethane, or until I get the depth of finish that I desire.

It is going to be beautiful!I mean after you have finished ruining that gun I will give you my address so you know where to send it for proper disposal... ;)

Back