Gun Sales Still Climbing

Apples and oranges

The NRA says that Feb 2017 NICS checks are up from Jan 2017 NICS; and March '17 was up from Feb '17. They're right.

Others are saying that Jan, Feb, and March '17 NICS checks are down from Jan, Feb, and Mar '16 checks, respectively. They're right, too.

Talking past each other, as usual.

^^^ An astute observation. :)

To put this in perspective, if one looks at FBI stats...
  • There is a fairly consistent 3%-10% rise from January to February and February to March almost every single year, like clockwork.
  • NICS checks are down from 2016 but remain at a very high historical level.

Of course this only accounts for gun sales where a 4473 was done through the NICS system. Do those states that do not use that system also report their numbers to these folks? And FTF sales are an unknown entity.

Being that you can buy a rifle and get a free handgun now, or ten boxes of ammunition and get ten free pmags ... I'd say sales numbers aren't as stiff as they once were

PSA had a flash ad (might still be good) where you bought an AR and got a Springfield XDS shipped for $799

FITASC said:
Do those states that do not use that system also report their numbers to these folks?
I assume so, because the state-by-state stats include all 50 states plus D.C. and 4 of the 5 unincorporated U.S. territories. Apparently there isn't an FFL in American Samoa. :(

A couple of interesting asides...

January of 2017 was apparently one of the highest-ever months for NICS checks in Guam, and March was THE top month ever in the Mariana Islands. :)

Given that the monthly NICS numbers for the Mariana Islands are normally in the single digits, I imagine there is only a single FFL. I wonder how much he/she charges for transfers!
FITASC said:
And FTF sales are an unknown entity.
Yup.

Back