gun safe ?

What's basement??? ;)

Mine is in a den/family room in plain sight - nowhere to hide it; garage is too humid where I live now.

I built my house around my gun safe....literally. It's enclosed in a closet that's a half inch narrower at the doorway than the safe is wide. No way to get it out without taking all the trim and door off the opening. Nice and dry and it has bi-fold doors in front of it. You'd never know it was there.

It's enclosed in a closet that's a half inch narrower at the doorway than the safe is wide. No way to get it out without taking all the trim and door off the opening

And why I can't get mine INTO a closet and it sits out.......:o

If I told you on an open Internet forum I'd have to...
But a basement doesn't exist in this part of Texas, and you wouldn't know it otherwise.

I built a specially engineered tree house in the oak tree in my back yard and put it there, who would think to look up there for anything other than a leftover PB&J....

I simply don't worry about it. The reality is any burglar that has the ability to get into a safe is hitting safes in neighborhoods that the very wealthy live where there is a real payoff in cash and jewelry. Your regular burglar is looking to get in and out as fast as possible. The longer they are inside a house the higher the chance of getting caught.

rebs wrote:
Do you hide your gun safe or is it just in your basement in open sight etc ?

I live in north Texas so I don't have a basement.

My gun safe is in the corner of a closet in my home-office. It was the second-best safe Sears sold at the time (30 years ago). I assume it will resist casual thieves but not determined burglars.

To get to the closet, a casual thief would have to walk past at least two easily pawned Thinkpad laptop computers, so unless they knew the safe was there and had brought along tools to break into it, the easiest money they can make is to take the computers and I can go to the local pawn shops and buy them back next week.

Back