Gun Safe or Gun Cabinet????

folsoh

I currently own two Stack-On gun cabinets bolted to the studs. They are in my basement garage. I have about 14 long guns with about 10 pistols and its probably time to get a better safe.

My questions are do you think a $1400 to $1800 gun safe is necessary for most people?

I would be happy to buy another metal cabinet but having three of them is kind of ridiculous.
My plan is to buy a 30 Gun Safe like a Winchester Ranger or Liberty Colonial. Those are both available near where I live. I would put it in my basement which is for the most part very dry compared to most. I would then put one of the metal stack on cabinets in my upstairs garage for temporarily storing guns in during hunting season. So that I can quickly access them and keep them away from the kids. Kind of like a temporary gun storage locker. The other one I would use for some bb guns or storing reloading powders.

I was just wondering what people really use to store guns. I live in a good neighborhood and have never had any problem with theft. I feel like an idiot for asking if you should trust a $149 cabinet with $20,000 in guns. Two of my rifles and scope combos are worth $6,500.00 alone.

At one point, I planned on finishing the vault room in my basement and using it for storm and a gun room. I installed a metal door and a reg style lock in it. Then I questioned the security of the guns behind a cheap steel door and a reg door lock. Plus I would have to leave the door open sometimes to air it out. With kids this was not the best option so I have kept them in the steel cabinets until now.

Does everyone use the new electronic safe locks with key pad or is the old dial style better??

So do most people just bite the bullet and buy a big gun safe????

Last edited:
If you live in a city, the FD is 3-10 minutes out, maybe 1-3 minutes to deploy. Figure 15 minutes of actual fire protection is needed before they are dumping water...then does your safe fill up with water? For most people, the fire ratings are significant overkill, and the lack of a watertight gasket leaves them lacking. But I digress.

Do you have an alarm system? It is cell based with battery back-up? How frequently does it send a test? DVRs with cameras? Do you vacation? Are you away from home during the day? Do not answer these on the forum, but think about them in relation to your total security for you, and your possessions.

Slowing down punk criminals and those looking for fast scores to get drug fixes and such is not real difficult, kiddos in the house, about the same. Stopping a Pro...a bit harder.

For most people, I think that putting their higher valued firearms in a quality safe is a good bet, but very few really need their entire collection in a safe. A cabinet, and even cable locks are sufficient to stop the punk criminals and kids.

If you don't have an alarm system, that is a better investment than a whiz bang safe IMHO. Zones can be set to be armed with different levels based on your wants and desires, even with people and pets home.

$20,000 in guns I'd get a safe AND alarm system. You don't need to overspend on the safe but get a name brand.
I use simplisafe for my alarm. $14.99/mo. No contract.

I decided to push the budget a bit and order this one. The safe, not the girl.

https://www.sturdysafe.com/collections/2419-colletions/products/model-2419

These are pricey for me, but I am not likely to buy any others. Also I want some peace of mind and did get it on sale. They also sell safes with "blemishes" that do not affect the function or warrantee. I have not checked the prices.

I got this one on sale before the base price went up for $1734 and $193 shipping. It has the 4 GA body, 3/8" steel plate door and fire lining options. They advertise 11 guns, but that depends on the type of gun. My old Mossberg 95K takes up a lot of room.

Same Safe situation ..

I am currently in a very similar situation to you. I have 1 good quality safe and the other is sheet metal type.

I am thinking of getting a Liberty 24 gun safe. Check out youtube for videos of guys breaking into safes. Some of these safes are broken into with 6 foot pry bars in about 40 seconds. The Liberty safe does much better.

My plan is to put all the rifles, shotguns into the new Liberty safe. My current good safe will be used for handguns. The 3rd safe i will sell.

This isn't a hobby, it's an addiction!!

PS I always try to sell the idea of getting a safe to non- gun owners. There are a lot of valuables in your home that can survive an amateur break in.
I tell friends that it is good for - Jewelry(rings, watches, gold), passports, Documents, dormant credit cards, Will, cameras. back up hard drives, Binoculars, Photo albums laptops and Tablets, prescription drugs, hand held GPS , HQ Knives, and of course your emergency SHTF cash $1,000 min.

I know a woman who was broken into despite having good locks, an Alarm system and Insurance. The alarm blazed away and the thief stole many of the items I listed above. Total value was $20K, It was insured but a lot of things held deep sentimental value to her. A safe would have made a big difference in her losses.

Biggest mistake I ever made was buying a safe to just store the guns I CURRENTLY have. Never entered my mind to consider the guns I bought in the future.

Back