Gun Safe interior replacement

talkglock

Hello all,

Just curious, anybody know who might sell replacement interiors for Cannon safes?

I was given a safe from an estate and well lets say it has seen a better life. I have not seen the interior yet but I'm told its kind of rough. so I'm thinking what the hell lets just gut it and replace it. But I'm not sure if I just buy sheet rock panels and do it myself or if somebody sells them as a kit?

I've already emailed Cannon and have not yet recieved a reply and they have nothing listed on their website so I'm guess they will not be much help.

It also needs a spoke and a new lock/keypad (safe is open).

Thank you for any assistance.

I went to the local fabric store. Got some nice velour and a couple of cans of spray adhesive. Turned out pretty good for an amateur. I did replace a couple of the particle boards with white pine. One of mine had broken from the weight of a lot of "iron".

Wait and see !!!!

I have not seen the interior yet but I'm told its kind of rough.
Might want to wait and see, so you can work out a plan of attack. You have a steel shell, then for what it's worth, fireproofing panels and a fabric lining. Then you have shelves, particians and whatever. I redid mine entire shelving and had to patch up some of the lining and installed new racks to increase capacity. I was once offered and very large "old" safe and the walls were at least 6" concrete. I passed on that one .... .. :eek:

Be Safe !!!

You will need to find a certified locksmith who handles Cannon and they will send the new lock to them and then they will replace it - at least that is what happens when my electronic lock took a dump (under warranty) and that is how it was handled. Most safes have those thin, multi-slotted bracket strips up the side and you should be able to get those at Lowes or Home Depot if needed. I would also drill a hole in the back for a cord from a golden rod or similar (if it isn't already ready for that). For interior cloth, you want something that is NOT hygrscopic, so no cotton, felt, etc., but opt for something man-made that does not absorb moisture

I went to the local fabric store. Got some nice velour and a couple of cans of spray adhesive. Turned out pretty good for an amateur. I did replace a couple of the particle boards with white pine. One of mine had broken from the weight of a lot of "iron".

That is what I have in mind if I can't get replacement fireproofing.

Might want to wait and see, so you can work out a plan of attack. You have a steel shell, then for what it's worth, fireproofing panels and a fabric lining. Then you have shelves, particians and whatever. I redid mine entire shelving and had to patch up some of the lining and installed new racks to increase capacity. I was once offered and very large "old" safe and the walls were at least 6" concrete. I passed on that one .... .. :eek:

Be Safe !!!

Yup totally agree, that is why I haven't purchased a replacement lock yet, no need to do that yet if it's going to need other work first.

You will need to find a certified locksmith who handles Cannon and they will send the new lock to them and then they will replace it - at least that is what happens when my electronic lock took a dump (under warranty) and that is how it was handled.

No need for a locksmith, the door is open and there are a bunch of youtube videos out there that show how to change/replace the entire lock. Replacement locks are plentiful on Amazon and I'm sure I could also go to the manufactures that the safe people use and order directly from them if i had to. Since I don't have a receipt of purchase I don't think Cannon would honor the claim anyway...it's like the first required item on their website.

If the maker is still in business, you really need to talk to them, first.

IF, for instance the safe has a fire resistance rating, from the maker, changing the interior might invalidate that.

Personally, I think I'd also be doubtful about a lock bought off the internet and installed via a U tube lesson being the same as the original factory installed system. Might be, but.....

Get ahold of the maker, they might well sell repair/replacement interiors/parts as support for their products without advertising them separately. You won't know until you talk to them, and while I realize that this is the 21st century, sometimes one still gets good results from actual conversations with live people over the phone. Sometimes....:rolleyes:

Work with Cannon !!

It also needs a spoke and a new lock/keypad (safe is open).
Recently ran into this problem with my buddies safe. He "had" dementia and had forgotten his "Keypad" combination. I contacted the "Fort-Knox" company with the serial number of the safe. They offered to phone him and go through the process and I advised them, not to do so and instead, mail him the instruction. To my surprise, they did so and then suggested to my buddy, to have his adult son do the reprogramming. I suspect that Cannon does not make the lock as Fort-Knox buys theirs from an outside source. The end results was that it took a little time but all went well. So ........ ???

Start by working with Cannon !!! ,,,, ;)

Be Safe !!!

Back