Gun Range Fire

BarryLee

Ok, some on here may know more about this incident than I, but thought I’d share what’s been covered in the media. Sunday the Sandy Springs Gun Club public indoor range caught fire. According to news reports a customer accidently fired a tracer round which sparked the fire. It appears the damage was in the ventilation and roof area of the building. No customers or employees were injured and Police don’t plan to file any charges against the customer or the range.

So, obviously a good lesson on the importance of keeping track of “what & where” as it relates to ammunition. Also, this was covered a good bit in the local media and I wonder if in a small way it plays into the narrative of guns and everything/everyone associated with them being hazardous to the community.

I’ve always sort of worried about the issue of fire at indoor ranges, so how common are range fires. Anyone ever been at a range when it caught fire? Anyone know more details of this incident?

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/north-fulton-county/customers-military-style-round-blamed-for-gun-range-fire/473492323

Why shouldn't a tracer round start a fire ??
One big danger in ranges is that powder and primer residue collect at the backstop and can ignite . Some of the major companies have found this !!

A gun range on the south side of Indianapolis had the same thing happen a couple years ago. The range side of the gun shop still hasn't reopened due to insurance reasons.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I guess there are some advantages to the old-fashioned range where I shoot. The backstop is a (very) heavy expanse of steel plate, canted at 45 degrees. The steel plate deflects the incoming bullets down into a water-filled moat that's about four feet deep.

All kinds of airborne powders can promote flame and fire.
Grain silos are notorious for it.
So, it's understandable how gun powder can do it, especially at an enclosed indoor range.
And the damage to lungs if the ventilation isn't up to par.

Back