Gun Pictures

'88Scrat

Does anyone have any advice on how to take quality pictures of firearms? TFB has a pretty good video out there but want to hear what you guys think. For example I've been trying a piece of dowel rod in the trigger guard to get a rifle to stand up (ish...).

Making a comprehensive list of all my firearms for insurance purposes and want to be as thorough as possible.

One common bit of advice is to take photos outdoors on a cloudy day. It should be cloudy enough that there are no directional shadows and no glare.

Yes, or in the shade. Adjusting the exposure compensator to +.75 will add detail on blued areas. A rifle leaning against a tree or a revolver against a wood deck also works. By turning off your stabilizer and using a tripod (or a brace), you also can get fine results. Just turn the stabilizer back on when you're done. DO NOT USE A FLASH.

You can increase your deeply of field or decrease it, depending on the effect. Generally, try and leave the camera at f/8.

--

One thing I learned from my son is: if you are going to use natural light for a photo, do it in the last hour before sunset or the hour after sunrise. His first degree is in filmmaking, but he’s since gotten a degree in a different subject lol. And I’ve gotten to pay for a lot of it :)

I seldom take pictures of guns but I do take pictures of similar sized items and that’s when I do it.

Back