Gun Owners of America??

g.willikers

Does the GOA actively support gun rights court cases?
Or do they give more of a "Me, Too" support with amicus briefs and such, letting others do the heavy lifting?
Anyone know for sure?

if I recall correctly the GOA not only has supported gun rights cases, they have brought suit in cases that the NRA declined to pursue.

I don't know them personally, but they have a reputation as being more "radical" than the NRA, being more "in your face" in defense of gun rights and less open to compromise. Not as much as the JFPO, but more than the NRA.

I've heard this from people on both sides of gun issues, but cannot say if it actually deserved, or not.

From what I have gathered, you can see how they approach different issues/cases simply by browsing through their propaganda (loosely classified as press releases).
When they use the terms, "GOA-led" or "GOA-sponsored" with something, they had at least a small part in the matter.
When they use the term, "GOA-backed" with something, they just supported the case/law/regulation, but may not have even filed briefs.

They used to get some of my money. But they wouldn't back off with the over-the-top level of propaganda, so I had to cut them off. They make the NRA's propaganda look like Girl Scout fundraiser flyers.

I used to recommend the GOA but I have become disappointed at how much time and effort the GOA spends denigrating other gun rights organizations as opposed to focusing on the central issue of promoting gun rights.

FrankenMauser said:
They used to get some of my money. But they wouldn't back off with the over-the-top level of propaganda, so I had to cut them off. They make the NRA's propaganda look like Girl Scout fundraiser flyers.

JohnKSa said:
I used to recommend the GOA but I have become disappointed at how much time and effort the GOA spends denigrating other gun rights organizations as opposed to focusing on the central issue of promoting gun rights.

A big "Me, too" to both of the above. Not that I ever recommended GOA to anyone, but I was a dues-paying member for awhile. It became clear to me that they were happy to take credit for work done by other groups, while at the same time criticizing other groups for not being strong enough or active enough. I, too, got tired of the propaganda and dropped my membership.

Not as bad as Dudley Brown, but running a close second IMHO.

I'll join the chorus of former GOA supporters. Right now the only gun organizations I am a member of is Illinois Carry and the NRA, as a Life Member. I'm actually surprised with how rarely the NRA asks me for donations or support of any kind. I've seen some of the material of the JFPO but it didn't appear that they actually DO anything other than promote their own website and organization so I never sent them any money.

Thanks for the replies.
I've been a GOA member, along with many other gun rights groups, for a long time.
But lately, it seems best to concentrate donations to the ones that do the most good.
Right now that is the Second Amendment Foundation and the NRA.
The do most, if not all, of that heavy lifting.

If someone were to ask me what gun rights organizations to join, here's the list I would give them.

NRA
SAF
Your state's gun rights organization.

NRA has a wide focus so membership/contribution dollars go to a variety of programs which benefit shooters/gun owners, not just to the legislative efforts of the NRA.

SAF is much more narrowly focused which means that membership/contribution dollars go primarily to litigating gun rights cases.

A LOT of very practical gun rights advances come at the state level and state gun rights organizations get surprisingly little support. TSRA (Texas State Rifle Association), for example, has fewer than 50,000 members based on the last membership figure numbers I've seen.

Back