Gun Market Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

deanf

I found this listing at gunsamerica.com:

"P220 $712.00 SigArms Model P-220. The most successful 45 ACP double action combat pistol ever designed for law enforcement service. Features a blue finish and two 7 round magazines. Firearm sent to your FFL Dealer ONLY."

Note the price, $712. Now, this is from a dealer in Woodhaven New York.

I paid $539 for exactly the same pistol here in the Seattle/Tacoma area.

Will the market for the P220 in New York bear this $712 price?

I've seen other blue NIB P220s advertised for much more that I paid.

I'm not suggesting any mal- or misfeasance on the part of the seller, I'm just curious to know if gun markets vary that widely from region to region.

------------------
“The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals. ... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.” -Alexander Addison, 1789

[This message has been edited by deanf (edited August 23, 1999).]

Dean, This sounds way out of line. I doubt he'll get that kind of money from any knowledgeable firearms enthusiast. I think the Woodhaven he is from is in Queens. He probably has a nice bridge he'll sell you cheap also.

Joefo

Yes, gun markets do vary that much, and more.

Find a copy of the Blue Book of Gun Values. In the front section the author talks about the various regions and pricing variations.

Local legislation also plays a big part in pricing, just look at what happened to SKS prices (from $75 a few years ago to over $400 today in some areas). In my area I've seen a Sig-Sauer pistol vary by over $100 depending on which dealer/shop I was at.

colo gun show for a military style SEMI-AUTO is approx $1-300 more than in wyo which is 1hr away. now the opposite is true pertaining to bolt action (hunting) rifle's also location or just plain greed play's a part in pricing as well

i paid the same $540 for my sig p-220 here in nebraska.
(incidently i took it out today and right out of the box it shot better than anything else i've ever aimed!)
everything costs more back east,thats why they are better than the rest of the country!
ha!!

Yes, there are some strange price variations in the gun market. I've been to a gun show and seen a $50+ price difference for the same gun on tables only twenty feet apart!

Value does vary greatly by region, the same rifle can vary by hundreds of dollars in different areas. A prime example are AR type rifles, the cheapest one I saw on a recent trip to Los Angeles was $1100 for a beater parts gun, a similar gun sat on a local dealer's shelf for almost a year at $700. Generally city gunshops tend to be higher priced than rural shops, but like all generalizations, YMMV.

------------------
With my shield or on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back