Gun Laws in Denver

Topthis

There is a chance that I may be moving to Denver, Colorado in the very near future. Anyone here @ TFL know if Colorado is as tight as Kalifornia?

Leave your 'assault rifles' behind if you plan to actually live in Denver. Outside of Denver they're no problem though, and for the most part, the state is pretty gun friendly. It's open carry in Colorado and we are a shall issue state, so it's pretty easy to get a CCW permit.

My understanding is this..........

it's open carry in the entire state, though if you open carry in a metropolitan area, you can fully expect to be stopped and talked to.

You can conceal a weapon in your car without a permit.

Assault weapons are illegal in Denver, but legal in the rest of the state.

Denver is Moscow on the front range for whatever they consider Assault Weapons. Other large cities may have problems with open carry and you could be charged with disturbing the peace. Concealed carry is a "shall Issue" state wide law.

I don't see how you could be charged with anything for responsibly open carrying, but like I said, you can expect to be stopped and talked to for sure.

Thanks for the quick reply! It actually sounds like Paradise to me, since I moved here to Kalifornia from Nevada.

Just from what I've read on here, CO is quite gun friendly except for the usual urban/college areas like Denver and Boulder.

Like the others have said, keep your residence out of Denver and Boulder and you are fine. Plenty of nice places to live in the suburbs of Denver both newer and older. Excellent gun laws, although you do have to take a CCW course to apply for the permit. I actually think its a good practice to get some training anyway. Whether or not it should be mandatory is a topic for another thread.

You don't want to live in the city of Denver anyway. Live in one of the many suburbs.

Although Colorado has preemption it was slightly weakened by a court ruling in terms of open carry and assault weapons. I never see open carry outside of the mountains and wouldn't suggest it in a city, especially Denver. And Denver does have a court granted right to prohibit open carry in it's parks and so forth, just not concealed carry with a permit.

But you can carry concealed and loaded in your car without a permit of any kind (pistol, not a rifle) throughout the state.

moved here to Kalifornia from Nevada.

Why don't cha just come on back? We could use gun toting law abiding citizens like yourself, ever since we turned Blue state for the first time...

Just make sure the rest of the neo nazi hippies change places with ya and go back where they came from lol.:cool:

Well it's official...I am now a resident of Colorado! I took a position with another company and I decided to take an openning in Denver. The cost of living etc., compared to that of living in San Diego was just too appealing. Any how, I have been here 5 days and have already found where the Gander Mountain and Dick's are...great stores. Obtaining a CCW is at the top of the list...only because it was soooo impossible to get one in Diego. Thanks for all your replys guys!!

take an openning in Denver. The cost of living etc., compared to that of living in San Diego was just too appealing. Any how, I have been here 5 days and have already found where the Gander Mountain and Dick's are...great stores. Obtaining a CCW is at the top of the list...only because it was soooo impossible to get one in Diego. Thanks for all your replys guys!!

Welcome! There are a lot of good places to get CCW training. If you need help finding training places, I can hook you up with some good resources. But all of the main stores that sell guns have flyers up.

Gander Mountain and Dicks are nice, but for the best prices you have Sportsman's Warehouse, which has a nice selection of handguns as well. And of course no matter where you settle in the city an occasional trip to Bass Pro shop is an absolute must.

Here's the address of the colorado state shooting association (NRA affiliated):

cssa.org

Kalifornians are not always welcome here in my book, as they usually bring with them a liberal Kalifornia outlook ... but pro gun people from any state always are! And you'll find plenty of your former fellow californian's around to commiserate with on snow days.

Back