Gun Kit

Jaycolo

Im wanting to bulid a bp revolver and had some questions. Whats a good kit to get? where some good sites to look at kits?

You are going to have to ask Dixie about the fit of the conversion cylinders. I'm not familiar with Pietta kits, and the idea of adding a conversion cylinder to a kit gun scares me a little. No good reason - they're both Pietta, but I just don't trust the clearances. It's bad enough fitting conversion cylinders that are specifically made for your gun without adding the word "kit".

There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in revolver kits regardless of who made them, so it may be difficult to find someone with experience to comment. Frankly, building a revolver from a kit isn't very demanding - sand, stain, fit and finish the grips and then polish and finish the metal is about all there is to it.

I have built (many years ago) several CVA percussion rifle, shotgun and pistol kits but no revolvers. All the kits I've built have been complete and required a little hand work, the only challenges being in finishing the inletting for the locks and barrels, something the revolvers don't need. I have no complaints about the CVA kits I've worked with so far. They are not the very high quality, fancy wood, expensive locks and barrel kits that one can get from specialty shops now, but they are very functional and satisfying to complete and did not cost much.

These kits are inexpensive enough that one could take a chance, try one out and maybe publish a review.

I think the problem is the kits are not much less money than the finished guns. I bought my Pietta 1858 Remington for $189.00 shipped. At the time the kit was listed at only $20.00 less. Not much savings for the work and headaches involved. Just my $.02 worth.

Gaucho Gringo - yep, you're right. The revolver kits involve little in the way of personal customization, unlike the long gun or single shot pistol kits, hence little personal satisfaction, and they do not save you money (the kits are only a few dollars less than the finished guns and by the time you buy the materials to finish the kit, you have spent more).

Back