Gun in car problem

IMTHDUKE

It's been discussed much. The issue of leaving your gun in the car when you go to a Federal Building. I have found a semi safe way that I am comfortable with doing.

This four combo safe is bolted to bottom of my console and unless someone brings a large crow bar and is willing to take time to tear this thing out, the gun is relatively safe. It is not made but for a few makes and models. Mine is in a Lincoln MKX Suv.

Last edited:
That looks like a very small console, but I guess it's deep. Seems like they work well for the vehicles they offer them for.

I use this lock box with the bracket under the rear seat of my SUV and use it with the heavy duty cable (5/16" diameter) when in the wife's car.

FAS1-Traveler%2BKit%2BNew.jpg

I use a Stack-on three disk combo lock....

model PC95, for carrying a J-frame or S&W m39-2.
The cable wraps around seat frame member, then terminate inside.

Hope this helps.

OK, color me curious. I have read rules, regulations and laws that say, in effect, that having a gun in the car is a no-no in some places, permit or license notwithstanding. I don't recall seeing anything about "unless it is locked up", or "unless it is secured" or even "unless it is unloaded". Just "no guns", period, with certain specified exceptions.

So while the described approach should satisfy any real concern about the gun actually being used illegally, it seems to me that it might not be enough to keep the gun owner out of trouble with an over-zealous or anti-gun official. And, as some of you know, when guns are involved, common sense often flies out the window.

Jim

I can just tell you that in Sweet home Alabama a gun in a car with the owner holding a conceal carry permit is legal.

Maybe not that sweet. How about federal government installations? And state prison property? And wildlife preservation areas?

Jim

I agree with James 100%. It's not worth the risk nor the problems. There are very dark days out there and the Feds and even local LEOs are getting very very touchy about carrying.
Be smart about this and this is all Uncle Doc will say.

Maybe not. Except for official use, a gun in your car on most military bases or government installations is illegal, period. That applies no matter where the gun is in the car, whether or not it is loaded, whether or not the owner of the car has a state or local license, whether or not the owner of the gun/car is a federal employee.

It is worth noting that government (federal, state, local) installations often conduct security "drills" during which all vehicles on the installation are subject to search (warrant not needed - the car is on THEIR property). While there may/need not be any specific target of the search, any contraband they find (which includes that gun) is subject to seizure and its owner subject to legal penalties.

Jim

True, but a locked compartment changes nothing any more than a locked glove box would. The question is not how/where to keep a gun in a car or truck; it is whether a locked box or compartment allows a gun to carried legally on a Federal installation when it would otherwise be prohibited. AFAIK, it doesn't, so whether the box is an add on or part of the car/truck is irrelevant.

Jim

There are places you can carry and places you cannot. There are places you can have a firearm in your vehicle and places you cannot. It's not a zero sum game just be fully aware of all applicable laws. Every state trooper I've ever met in Texas, Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana or Oklahoma has been pro second amendment. I've been traveling these states for 28 years as a salesman. My Texas License to Carry is recognized in all these states.

US Appeals Court: No Firearms On U.S. Postal Property At All. Sorry, Parking Lot!
Posted by Brandon Curtis, July 1, 2015
On Friday by a 2-1 vote on Friday, the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver ruled against the man, Tab Bonidy.

Circuit Judge David Ebel said the right to carry firearms does not apply to federal buildings such as post offices, and that while it was a “closer question” he would not second-guess the Postal Service’s extending the ban to its parking lots.
“The security of the postal building itself is integrally related to the security of the parking lot adjacent to it,” Ebel wrote.

So if you’ve been operating under the assumption that keeping your firearm inside your vehicle… in the parking lot of a U.S. Post Office was legal, you’ll now have to reassess your daily routines.
http://concealednation.org/2015/07/...u-s-postal-property-at-all-sorry-parking-lot/

It isn't much of a stretch to consider that this rulling would pertain to all Federal property including parking lots. The only exception is on lands where legal hunting takes place.

Back