Gun Idolatry

Karanas

December 20, 1999

Rabbi Calls for Action on Guns

By GUSTAV NIEBUHR

Leaders of Reform Judaism's synagogue organization, the Union of American Hebrew Congregations, voted overwhelmingly yesterday to adopt a resolution calling on social action committees in Reform synagogues to urge congregants to write their Congressional representatives "demanding that effective gun control" laws be enacted next year.

The decision came a day after the union's president, Rabbi Eric Yoffie, delivered a sermon saying Reform Jews should regard gun control as "a solemn religious obligation" to counter what he called society's idolatry of guns.

The resolution, passed by a voice vote at the union's biennial assembly in Orlando, also urged that each of the union's 875 Reform congregations invite elected officials in their area to talk about their positions on gun control.

Although the union has previously spoken out for gun control, the resolution goes further in asking Reform Jews to take specific actions and saying the next several months may be crucial to the passage of gun control legislation.

On Saturday, Rabbi Yoffie delivered a sermon to the 4,700 people at the gathering, in which he urged greater efforts to protect children. "Now is the time to assemble a critical mass of citizens who will stand up and say no to the deadly toll that guns take on the lives of our children," he said.

"Our gun-flooded society has turned weapons into idols," he said, "and the worship of idols must be recognized for what it is -- blasphemy. The only appropriate religious response to idolatry is sustained moral outrage."

In an interview before his sermon, Rabbi Yoffie said the union wanted to go beyond rhetoric, to launch a nonpartisan but "very, very focused" effort. In the past, he said, "there's been a great deal of passion" by opponents of gun control, and not enough by its supporters among Reform Jews.

In our present day society, criticizing someone who happens to be Jewish is a risky proposition. The risk goes up if the individual in question is a recognized leader of that faith. That said, I want to stress that I'm a pretty tolerant guy and certainly not an anti-semite.
I'm even a proud, card carrying, dues paying member of the JFPO.
Rabbi Yoffie is a dangerous fool.
You would think that a people that had almost been exterminated would have learned that their existence was dependent on their own vigilance and not that of some government that can turn around and betray them overnight.
My guns are not an idol that I blasphemously worship.
They are a symbol of my freedom and I respect and cherish them for that.

------------------
397 days left!

[This message has been edited by Karanas (edited December 20, 1999).]

I wish I had a copy of the German transport order the Jews got to "relocate to the East".

Maybe JFPO can get copies printed up so we can send them to those congregations. Maybe, JUST MAYBE, they'd see the connection.

Or, cut out a yellow Star of David, write "Results of Gun Control" on it and mail it to them.

Where's the scissors?

------------------
The New World Order has a Third Reich odor.

I am an insignificant individual in the grand scheme of things, however:

I agree with Karanas. Such well-intentioned leaders will destroy our freedoms and, eventually, cause even those ideals that leaders holds inviolate to be violated. I'd bet JPFO vehemently disagrees.

Let us not single out the Jewish gun control crowd. Local Protestant churches advocate gun contol as does Arch Bishop Patrick Flores in San Antonio.

Self-reliance apparently is considered a vice not only by those government officials who would rule over us, but also by *most* large business and religious organizations.

It seems we are entering an age which some hope to call "Death of individualism".

Well, sorry, Charlie. I've seen this before - in Eastern Europe. You're in for a rough day!

------------------
Either you believe in the Second Amendment or you don't.
Stick it to 'em! RKBA!

Man, I'd *love* to see Rabbi Mermelstein kicks Yoffie's arse. In print, of course. :)

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

Things are a little different for me. Last Sunday, someone in my church brought his rifle to show off. The pastor, who runs a hunting camp one month out of the year, was admiring the gun. I asked him what he thought of the push in our state to have concealed carry outlawed in schools and churches. He told me that he would feel safer knowing that someone in the church was carrying. I had my gun with me that night. (I really need to find a nice jacket that won't print. I'd carry more often.)

I may not be jewish - but I respect all jewish people. Especially the ones in Isreal.
Funny - Isreal seems to be pretty big on Defense.

On Saturday, Rabbi Yoffie delivered a sermon to the 4,700 people at the gathering, in which he urged greater efforts to protect children. "Now is the time to assemble a critical mass of citizens who will stand up and say no to the deadly toll that guns take on the lives of our children," he said.

WHY DON'T THIS RABBI GAVE SERMON TO ISRAEL NOT TO TAKE THE LIVES OF THE PALESTINIAN CHILDREN ON THE INTIFADA DEMONSTRATION. IT IS WHERE HIS RHETORIC IS FITTED.

DON'T THEY HAVE LESSON FROM THE NAZI GAS CHAMBER.

SOME PEOPLE ONLY TALKS AND NOT LEARNING FROM HISTORY AND THE IMPORTANCE OF SMALL TOOLS FOR SELF DEFENSE. ALL TOOLS COULD KILL BUT ONLY IN DIFFERENT WAYS. AS MANY KEEPS REPEATING HERE AND THERE THAT GUNS DON'T KILL BUT IT IS THE HOLDER WHO DO THE KILLING.

"Our gun-flooded society has turned weapons into idols," he said, "and the worship of idols must be recognized for what it is -- blasphemy. The only appropriate religious response to idolatry is sustained moral outrage."

IDOLS! AHA!
GIVE WHAT BELONGS TO GOD AND GIVE WHAT BELONGS TO CAESAR... NOW - GUN IS MINE IN THIS WORLD AND PRAYER IS MY OFFER TO GOD. I STILL WANT TO LIVE LONGER AND I DON'T LIKE THAT MY FELLOWMEN WILL TAKE MY LIFE, DO SO I, THUS I NEED GUN TO PROTECT MY LIFE FROM DEVIL FOLLOWERS.

THIS IS MY SERMON TOO: BEWARE OF THOSE WHO REPRESENTS GOD'S WORDS, WHO ADVOCATES GUN CONTROL, THEY HAVE MANY HIGH POWERED IN THEIR OWN CHAMBERS (HOUSES), THEY WANT OTHERS NOT TO HAVE GUN SO THAT THEY CAN EASILY CONTROL THEIR SUBJECTS.

THANKS FOR MY SERMON.

As a Jew by conversion and a gun owner by choice, I condemn the actions of this self styled "Leader" of Reform Judaism.

Wife's aunt by marriage was born into a large Jewish family in Berlin in the 1920s. She escaped from Birkenau by being thin enough,less than 70 lbs, to get between the wires on the electric fence in 1944. She has some input on what it's like to live where the govt decides who may possess the means of defense and how may not....

As well stated before, antigun fervor
is not unknown among the WASPY set -
Hillary, Bill, Al, Bradley.

I go shooting with an Orthodox Jewish
friend at times. We discuss 1911s and
Glock 40SW merits and weaknesses.

My daughter has a nice Jewish friend whose
Dad has a Colt Python of which he is proud.

Last but not least - there is me.

Back