" Gun Gods or Guileless Gurus? "

GLV

This is the title of a rather long article in the Jan 99 issue of Shooting Sports Retailer. SSR is an industry publication.

This article, by Jim Matthews, senior field editor for SSR, says that gun writers sell guns, and guns on the cover of the consummer gun rags really sells guns. It also says that the gun writeups are driven by the advertising. In addition, the article states that editorial content is significantly more important than advertising. The above are some of the opinions in this article. Not everyone interviewed agreed.

Several questions:
Do you think the gun writers are competent?
Do you think the gun writers are credible?
Do you think gun writers have their hands out palm up?

The people interviewed from the industry, had varying opinions.

We know that some writers are competent, some honest and some credible. The question is -- how do you know which are which? GLV

GLV
I think that ANY publication should be taken with a grain of salt. Most gunwriters are fellow gun-nuts lucky enough to land such a gig. But are they competent? Sure. Are they Hands-down-almighty? Never.
It's like photography consumer mags. The writers claim to know everything about the latest picture-taking marvel, but can they take really fine photos? Not really.
Just a bunch of shutterbugs. Then again there are those who can actually make beautiful and technically excellent photos, but aren't lucky enough to write for the mags. I've seen shooters who can put 'em all in 1/4 MOA and can talk the talk, but who should I trust more? Someone that I've actually witnessed shoot the smallest group I've ever seen, or some guy in a mag who is fortunate enough to push his fave gun of the month?

Don't even think about trusting a mere writer. Trust what you see at competitions, with friends, with your own experiences.

I'll second that and would like to add that I'd trust the collective opinion of contributors to The Firing Line before some gun rag writer.

I have shot next to one of the most famous writers that has ever drawn breath...And he could not hit himself in the a$$ if he used both hands.....But his magazine articles make him out to be one bad hombre. Go figure.

Has anybody ever read a magazine called "Gun Tests"? It is a thin mag because it doesn't carry any advertising, or any articles except tests. I have never seen one on a rack, but they occassionally send me a trial subscription issue. They claim they are totally objective in their tests because they don't carry ads, and they buy all their test guns at a retail gun store so they don't test any specially tuned, factory supplied guns.

The thing that I find odd is that they very seldom test a gun which meets their approval. Now I don't buy many guns nowadays, I already have more than I can really afford, but I have never bought a new gun which gave me anywhere near as much trouble as these guys have with almost every gun. Am I just the exception, or does everyone else have problems with new out-of-the-box guns these days? To the best of my recollection, the only new guns I ever had any problems with when they were new were both Brazilian made revolvers, and the problems were very minor. That's 2 guns out of maybe 35-40 guns I have bought new over the past 15-20 years. Just wondering whether I should take this mags advice when and if I buy more guns. The last new gun I bought was a little Beretta 950 mouse gun, and I have had zero problems so far, after putting around 600 rounds through it.

I know this is a little off thread, but I thought it would be better to put it in here than to start a new thread.

Most of the writers are whores. The only exception I can think of is the Chairman. Col. Jeff Cooper. I once trusted Taffin, then he recommended the Taurus(crap) and the Texas Longhorn($1500. and the cyl. would'nt turn!) that I also bought. The #5 is still such a novel gun that I had ta keep it.

------------------

AFFA

Ed: Yep I know what you mean about all those gun problems you read about. My experience has been as follows

Used Star 9mm - No problems
Used Taurus .38 - No problems
Used S&W 41 - No problems
Used Beretta 76 - No problems
New Basque 9mmk (pp? ppk? - type copy) -ejected cases into users face before some fiddling cured this - also feeding was a bit unreliable.
New IZH-35 - No problems
Used Hämmerli 208 - No problems
New H&K USP9 - No problems.

Note "No problems" means when using sensible ammo. Even the USP won't feed feeble reloads. Sometimes when you read the gun magazines you get the impression that the first thing you have to do when you buy a gun is take it to a 'smith to make it work.

To get back to the original thread, are there any Gun-zine writers on this forum who would care to defend their work?! I have been a bit disappointed with gun magazines recently. The reviews do read a bit like sales copy sometimes. Some of it may be due to the reader though. There have been a couple of articles about the G35 recently (eg in Combat Handguns) that I have enjoyed. But then I have a G35 on order and am therefore interested in the gun and what people have to say about it. Perhaps if I hated Glocks then I would think those articles were just shameless advertising?

I know what you mean about the salesmanship in the gun rags, hell it seems like the manufacturer is writing the article in some of the more popular ones. It is the same way with car magazines, they are trying to sell you the product in the article, not give you the straight poop.

Old Biker,
I have a boat load of rifles/pistols that I have collected/shot over the years including a Taurus PT-99. If it is junk, call me Fred Samford 'cause I find it extremely acurate and have NEVER had a FTF in over 2500 rds. Works better than both of my Berettas.

Oh well, call me sensative.

I took a subscription, years back, and I have to agree on the comment "they find fault with every gun" I guess that does sound picky. I do remember one article on a revolver where they indicated a woman had difficulty maintaining her grip when she fired it. They produced a photo and I could understand why she couldn't maintain the grip.

Her strong hand was gripped below the recoil block, (low on the back strap) her weak hand was "cup and saucer" open without gripping.

I presented ,on several occasions, the functioning of firearms "new in box" without cleaning and their response was it should function properly w/o cleaning.

Needless to say, I don't take the magazine any longer

HJN

Harley Nolden,

I too quit subscribing to Gun Tests. They never met a gun they could not fault. The tests are reflective of some strange philosphies, as you note.

Glad to hear that I am not alone in this assessment.

------------------
Ni ellegimit carborundum esse!

Yours In Marksmanship
http://www.1bigred.com/distinguished

michael

Read as much as possible, talk to as many people as possible, don't be afraid to ask questions - then make an informed decision.

That's my philosophy on what's in Gun Mags.

Oh and last but not least, like cars....the First model run is usually crap !

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"

I know of an exception to this bashing of gun writers. FINN AAGAARD I have his book and have met him at his home. All articles written by him seem very low key and factual.
I do not always agree with him, he thinks handguns are very limited and I could not convince him that Dillon presses are the way to go. However, what ever he says I will listen to with respect.

To the origional 3 questions. Answer some more than others. I trust Mr. Petty most of the time, Sannow never, because he is marketing his theory (always). Cant blame a guy for trying to make a living though. Many times you have to read between the lines. Havn't had any problems with my taurus guns. Ive had co bring home several new smith and work on them to bring them up to par. NOT super tune or anything like that. Just a double action with out hitches from mis matched hand and star machining.

------------------
Vinny

Hiya hiker! Mind if I ask just how accurate the Taurus is? Also, why would buy both a Beretta and a Taurus? If we're comparing the Italian 92 to the American version, The US mfg will outshoot the much better finished(purty) Eupo pistol. BTW, 2500rds ai'nt even a barrel breakin for a 1911. Have ya shot any sub-gun ammo in the Taurus yet? We broke several brands of guns in our indoor range in Colo. some years ago that way. Strange that some guns can't take the pressure, and some thrive on it.

------------------

AFFA

You have to wonder about some gun writers who remark about having "the factory" send them out one or two new examples of the latest" all the time. As an occational freelance writer to certain papers - I have often wondered how writers can afford SO MANY guns.
I dont know about magazines - but newspapers dont pay squat... One average to shorter article MAY pay enought to pick up some Taco Bell on the way home from the Newspapers offices. These guys are not only living evidently large... but absolutly FAT... Last Wilson Combat unit I saw was 1450... before taxes. And some of these writers are talking about buying new W.C. guns quite frequently.
Are they on the take or what?
Unbiased opinion? Heck No!
Well... The gunmakers grease the wheels just as most any other business. It is what gets the machine rolling and keeps it working smoothly.

We should be greatful - if this wasnt the case there would be no gun rags... and those long flights or boring hotel rooms would be unsettling having to read "Glamour" or Ladys home journal" !!

------------------
Kodiac
Kenetic Defense Institute
"Sir Heckler"

I would agree with the comment regarding Finn Aagaard. I enjoy his articles immensely. What is the title of his book; I didn't know he had written one. One other writer I like (and has written 3 + books) is John Barsness. He seems to be a true gun nut but doesn't, as far as a can see, write many, if any, reviews of a particular gun. One real interesting and well written book more devoted to shotguns than rifles and pistols, although he discusses both, is Stephen Bodio's Good Guns Again.

A friend of mine is one of the few female gun writers in the business. I have seen the invoices from the factories for the test guns. The gun manufacturers give the writer a few months to do their testing and evaluating, then they expect the gun back or payment at about the wholesale price for a new test gun or discounted wholesale for a piece that has made the rounds to several writers. My friend had some pistols show up that wouldn't work, so she sent tham back saying she would test another one that does work. I have read some of her articles where flattering comments were not made and honest reporting was the order of the day.

I've had the opportunity, in some training and match shooting here in the Northwest, to talk to some well published gun writers. Some are pretty decent on a one to one basis and don't give you any bull. One guy is so full of himself that it is hard to get decent conversation from him sometimes.

As far as most of the published gunzine writers go, how many times could YOU rehash the same old stuff and make it sound convincing? Are there truly any NEW gun designs coming out? If you are making your bread writing about guns and there isn't much to write about, what do you do, another article on the 9mm vs 45ACP? Sure, some of them are BS artists that are barely convincing, but some of them have some knowledge and ability. All you have to do is read them and sort out the good from the bad and the ugly!

Ignorance or guile?

American Handgunner March/April 99 issue, front cover -- Kimber, smallest 1911 ever, by Charles E. Petty.

The total thrust of the article ( including the front page and index)is that the Kimber is smaller than the Colt Defender, and you might believe it if you have not read the specifications for the Defender. Petty states the barrel length of the Defender at 3 1/2" when it is three inchs -- Kimber barrel length 3.15". The Kimber is heavier, and slightly taller.

I am sure the Kimber is a fine gun, but this type of article, in a magazine that the publisher, Cameron Hopkins, claims always tells it like it is, that makes one wonder.

Guile or ignorance? GLV

I have to agree with the majority of stated opinoions.. tkae gun mags with a grain of salt.

I can tell you this: I have written a few articles for national mags, they have been 100% honest and forthwright, but they have also been on topics/things that I was wanted to get publicity for or that I felt deserved publicity. In those respescts, I think you would find that almost every gun writer in agreement. Few writers would write a glowing article about something they believed was crap and still last very long. OTOH, some writers migt fool themselves into believing that a piece of crap deserves a glowing article...... ;)

Back