"Gun-Free" zones under TX law

carguychris

Howdy all,

I've got a question regarding places where guns are banned under Texas law. By now, I'm sure everyone has heard about the Colorado church shooting where the shooter was taken down (if not actually killed) by a woman with a CCW permit. (Let's not get into the security guard / paid or not paid / LEO or not LEO debate, that's already being beaten to death elsewhere... :rolleyes: )

It seems to me that Section 46.035 of the Texas Penal Code absolutely prohibits CCW holders from carrying within a church. Period. I see no exception granted in the section. Partial excerpt:

Sec.46.035.UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE
HOLDER.

<snip>

(b)A license holder commits an offense if the license
holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun
under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code,
regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the
license holder ’s person:

<snip snip sections 1-5 omitted>

(6)on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other
established place of religious worship.

Full text here:
http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/PE/content/pdf/pe.010.00.000046.00.pdf

My question: Is there any sort of exception to this rule?

Given recent events in Omaha, I am thinking of writing letters to my state representatives asking them to overturn or grant exceptions to this law. The same goes for the "CCW-Free Zones" at hospitals, amusement parks, and sporting events.

Mandatory disclaimer: I am not a TX CCW permit holder, so I have not taken the class. However, it's on my "To Do" list once my budget allows. If this is covered in the class, forgive my ignorance. :o

Last edited:
The law was modified such that the house of worship must post the appropriate signage for CHLs to be banned. There have been very few (I can't remember any) signs being reported. Nor have I seen one on going to various houses of worship around town for weddings, bar mitzvahs, holidays of all sorts, etc.

So you need to do a little more research before writing to the reps. Same with hospitals.

Now go get a permit. :D

Back