Gun dealers inSacramento, CA?

stjames

Inactive
My warmest greeting to all. I am an import from Bladeforums and came over here for some specific information, but have had a wonderful morning wandering around this site.

I am hoping that I could get a recommendation of a gun dealer in Sacramento, California, who would give my wife and I a fair assessment of several shotguns that she has recently inherited. The majority of them are most likely between fifteen and thirty years old, but there is one very old piece that just might have come across the Atlantic with her great grandfather. I did not write its markings down when I examined it last weekend, but it was produced in Spain.

Also, if anyone could tell me what kind of markings I should be looking for to identify the piece I would appreciate it.

Sorry for my extreme ignorance, and thanks in advance for the help.

------------------
James

St. James!
Welcome to TFL.

I'm in Texas so I can’t help you in Sacramento; but this may help you.

Post your question to Harley Nolden’s board. This fella is incredible! He can tell you the
value of just about any firearm ever made.

It’s the forum just above this one. Good hunting!

Dennis

I would suggest Great Guns on Auburn Blvd. I have had very good luck with them and feel that they treated me fairly. I could not say the same for Sierra Guns in Auburn, they tried a bait and switch at the Sacramento Sportsmen's show two years ago.

------------------
It is far better to dare mighty things, though riddled with failure, than to live in the dull grey of mediocrity.

(deleted until more facts become known)
(let the buyer beware)

[This message has been edited by Ground Level (edited September 09, 1999).]

Ground Level,
Great Guns is in the little mall just west of Watt and South of Auburn Blvd. It may be the same business that used to be at the location you mentioned (I remember that there used to be a gun store there, but I don't recall the name of it). Great Guns is probably the biggest gun shop in the area. They sometimes seem a little pricy, but I haven't had notable experience with them either good or bad.

The Old Sacramento Armoury downtown on "J" Street (I think) might be a good bet. They carry quite a few older/used guns.

Wild Sports, which is located on Greenback (way out past Hazel) also has a lot of guns (although no used, as I recall). They seem like decent people.

Anyway, good luck. Please don't take this as a strong endorsement of the honesty of any of these stores - I don't really know.

I live in sacramento and deal with most of the shops here.Old Sac armory is the best as far a honesty goes great guns a close second and I have to agree with another poster that they are a bit pricey.Another bunch of guys is a newer shop on Fruitridge rd. called River City guns,good ammo prices,good used selection,very friendly but the place is very busy,even since they hired two more guys,I still have to wait in line.But hey if they are that busy,whats that tell you?Great Guns has the most old shotguns.HTH bikermanX

Thanks for the information, guys, I appreciate the response. I am heading up this weekend and will get some specifics to post a better-informed question about the guns next week.

While we are there we might want to take them to a shop to have them looked at. We are in River Park, so it shouldn’t be a problem. This brings up a few questions. What are the legalities involved in taking them in the trunk of our car across town to a shop? I don't know anything about what types of guns need to be registered in California, and if the gun shop has any responsibilities to report or try to register anything I take into his shop. And what about transporting them? There is very little paperwork for them, I don't believe they are registered, but they were all in working order when her father passed away. My wife can prove ownership because she is the trustee of the estate, but I would hate to have to go through anything with the authorities to preserve these family heirlooms.

Thanks again for the replies, and if you have any advice to ease my wife’s mind I would be greatly appreciative.

------------------
James

If the guns have lockable cases, use them and put them in the trunk of your car or in the far back if you don't have a trunk. Make sure they are unloaded first. If there are no cases for them, buy and install trigger locks on them and carry no ammo for them. ( in the off chance you get pulled over for something). As long as none of them are "assault weapons" that are currently required to be registered and are just shot guns, there would be no problem of having to prove they are yours as there is currently no registration required in CA for shot guns. When you get to what ever shop is going to look at them for you, I would go in first with out them and ask the manager to have an employee help you carry them in. I say all this because the wording of your post seems to imply that you don't have much experience with guns.

[This message has been edited by Pthfndr (edited September 16, 1999).]

Ptfndr, thanks for the tips. I had not thought of trigger locks (there are no cases), and we have checked the house and it is ammo free. My experience with guns is restricted to one summer 20 (?!?) years ago, so your words of advice and caution are appreciated. I will exercice the proper care, rest assured.

Thanks again, and take care.

------------------
James

Back