Gun control timeline

cornered rat

I am trying to put together a timeline of "accomplishments" of gun banners for the benefit of their current (ignorant?) supporters. Can you help me fill in blanks?

Early 15c - Maximilian I bans manufacture of wheel locks in the Holy Roman Empire

1630s - French Emperor (name?) restricts flint locks (snaphaunce?) to the military and court

1830s - US prohibits defense weapons to Blacks, incl. dogs(!)

1870s - US prohibits restricts gun ownership for "free" minorities

1938 - Germany prohitits Jews from posessing arms

1934 -

1968 -

1986 -

Anyone got timeline for China, USSR, etc.?

Would the situation in Kosovo apply here as well? I think you can probably find other examples. Are you looking for complete oppression, such as WW2, or simply an escalation of public mayhem and violence based on the individual's inability to protect himself?

------------------
Ron

Detroit Area Chapter
Terra-Haute Torque & Recoil Scoiety

In my experience, people's eyes begin to glaze over when you start to bring up the past (evidently anything before 1960 [g]).

Would it not be better to lay out the "accomplishments" of the antis in Australia or the Uk, leading up to the confiscation? The antis apparently are using them as a blueprint, so I think a side-by-side comparison would be more telling than the historical pattern that would only interest us.

------------------
If you can't fight City Hall, at least defecate on the steps.

OK, I now recall 1620s Japan, a particularly brutal campaign to disarm peasants. When did Japan occupy Okinawa making *any* arms illegal for locals?

Not to forget the Soviets in the 1920s and thereafter.

If you go the historical route, get a copy of "The Samurai, the Mountie, and the Cowboy" by David B. Kopel. he lays it out chapter and verse (no pun intended). The history of Japan is especially interesting.
The Guy in Power disarmed all subjects, confiscating all knives and swords, to make a giant statue of Budda. Once they were in, he made himself ruler and made the statue of and to himself. Kopel also gives gun control histories of the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, Switzerland, and the U.S.

------------------
If you can't fight City Hall, at least defecate on the steps.

Back