Gun cleaning

Deer hunter88

Is remington oil suitable for cleaning the bore of a rifle? The reason I ask is because I buy remington oil in the aerosol can to oil my guns and on the can it says that it's also a cleaner.

Don't stop with Rem. oil

Perhaps the newer Rem. oil is better now but I gave up on it a long time ago. Any oil will clean. Just how good or is there something better, is the question. On modern firearms, there are better cleaners. Before thread closed, you will get a many recommendations. What I use on M/L's is different than what I use on modern firearms. We usually stop with what works well for us. Personally, I would not stop with Rem. oil. ...... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

I'd suggest using a cleaner solvent to clean and an oil to lubricate. Not a big fan of those dual purpose oil/cleaners. To each their own though...

Yep, you need a solvent - even WD-40 will work better than just oil; brake cleaner, Ed's Red, and on and on.....

CLP says the same thing. While it may clean a little, it is no replacement for a good solvent. I've used Hoppes my entire life.

After a lot of work, research et all I came across an article by a guy who tested a bunch of the cleaner.

While the brand is not necessarily key, the type of product is.

In this case he found two that worked vastly better than the old stuff. They are non haz, not toxic, and no to little odor. Rather than brute force they use direct chemistry.

Carbon Killer 2000: This appears to be a citrus based cleaner, it attacks carbon very specifically. Has no affect on copper (no odor)

Bore Tehc Eliminator: Target to copper, but has a good carbon cleaning component as well.

I have used these to bring old military barrels back to shiny clean where they gleam.

What works for me is a copper brush (for the Carbon killer) and dip it into a bottle of the CK2000, run up and down the bore 10 times twice. Then a dry patch.

Once the patch comes out clean, run a wet patch though. Then a dry one.

Bore Tech Eliminator only as needed (new military gun mostly) Nylon brush.

There is a lot less copper in gun than you think and some of that coast over rough spots in the bore (depends on on how the barrel is made - Button rifled are rough (Savage) , hammer forged (most) are pretty smooth)

The best tool you can guy is the LYmans Boroscope (pretty cheaip on sale) and you can see what you are doing.

You're fine !!!

I've been using hoppe's #9. Is this for copper fouling only?
No sir; it's a general go-to for many firearm owners. I grew up with it and still use it, except for my M/L's. I use other specialty solvents on different firearms as well. Good old #9 may eat your bronze brushes, so you might want to rinse them off, in Mineral Sprits. ...... ;)

Be Safe !!!

I also recommend a solvent for cleaning. I do love remoil wipes for coating the external metals of my guns though.

I use a carbon cleaner KG - 1 for carbon then after carbon is removed, I'll dry patch then Hoppes#9 then dry patch. Copper I then use a copper cleaner KG - 12 , dry patch then Hoppes#9 dry patch. Only time I put oil in a barrel is if I'm not going to shoot it for awile . Shoot with a clean dry barrel . No short cuts .

Why would you want to contaminate the rest of the bottle?.....

Because it works. I have an old small bottle of Hoppes that is my brass brush source.

The brass brush picks up very little carbon. The bottle stays clean until its down to almost nothing. Rinse and fill again.

It works and works well.

If the OP only wants to have to apply once, CLP is probably a better option than oil for the bore.

That's what I do.

Ballistol does it all. It's the ~"Sportsman's Oil".
The stuff has been around since 1905 so its got a good reputation unlike some of those newly marketed cleaners with only a slight reputation _i.e. a spendy price tag.

I Agree !!!

I started using this about six years ago and it performs well for as old as it is. Started out just using it on my M/L's and it's use is growing. The only negative property, is that it smells a bit pissy. ....... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

Sure Shot McGee
Ballistol is great for a 22 lr. barrel , best lube I ever used & cleans also. I would use down a barrel I wasn't shooting for awhile. You would have to give it a good cleaning to get the ballistol out before shooting. I shoot a CZ 452 22 lr. with Wolf Target Matck. The 22's are so lubed that's why I use the ballistol as a cleaner & lube.

The stuff has been around since 1905 so its got a good reputation unlike some of those newly marketed cleaners with only a slight reputation _i.e. a spendy price tag.

Lets see, in 1905 we had the Model T.

I guess we should be driving those, though frankly I prefer the car we have that has good seat belts and all sorts of air bags.

While of course its an individuals choice, The Carbon Killer 2000 is no tox, non haz as is the Boretech Eliminator and both are low or no odor.

Both clean better than anything out there.

My wife is happy she does not have to get sick over the smell of Hoppes.

I am happy I can clean my guns inside, I am not poisoning myself.

This is 2017, things have moved on a huge amount since 1905, its worth trying some of those so called over priced products, they work better, they are far safer (safe period) and they don't smell.

Back