Gun Cleaning

I can't think of any reason not to use carb cleaner. However just make certain you prperly lubricate the weapon following cleaning, Carb cleaner is designed to leave no residue and will not lubricate moving parts. Carb cleaner may also promote rusting by stripping away oil and leaving the metal completely dry. I think it is easier to use a product designed for cleaning firearms.

Actually, if you want to try a great cleaner try Brake Clean or something designed to clean brake components. It comes in a spray can with a little tube just like Carb cleaner. It is designed to remove any foreign materials like brake dust and any brake fluid and built-up crud. It doesn't leave anything on the surface and evaporates very quickly with little or no oder. You end up with a dry, clean part. I'd suggest you wear some latex gloves becuase it is a desiccant and will make your fingers dry. As Conservative said, you must apply some sort of lubricant on the parts afterwards. I like the gun cleaners and lubircants but I favor brake cleaner to remove subborn buildups of carbon and the like without half of the mess with Carb cleaner.

Just a suggestion.

Rome

I fail to understand why people are searching to try non-gun cleaning products to clean valuable firearms when good reliable and dedicated products like CLP, Shooters Choice, JB bore paste, etc., etc. are available.

They then cry when the harsh solvent meant to clean an auto part, etc. discolors ther firearms finish or stock.

Just my opinion.

Back