• It would be a luxury

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • yes

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

psz211

Inactive
I am a student at Lehigh University and am currently on a product development team looking into developing a more efficient way of cleaning guns, more specifically those used in skeet shooting. I came to this forum in order to get frequent shooters and expert opinions on a product idea, and some input. I was wondering if this forum would be able to assist me. Currently our idea is to ease the hassle of cleaning ones gun by using a device similar to that of a sonicating toothbrush. We are in the beginning stages of our development and were wondering if there is even a use for such a product within the gun world. We realize that guns have to be cleaned frequently to keep them from jaming and to clean out the residue of shooting, that guns fired often may need to do this after each outing. How often do you clean guns? Would you be willing to pay around $60 for a gun cleaner that would simplify the process? Are there other products that already simplify the cleaning of guns? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also if there are any other problems associated with skeet shooting, or guns in general that anyone has ever thought "it would be nice to have ... (in our case a better way of cleaning guns)" we are more than open to new ideas. As a team of students we are looking to design a product for this market. Is there a need for this product? what are products some of you might want? Any discussion on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Preston

Interesting.

Things to ponder on.

1. Some would need more cleaning / maintenance than others. This differs across make, model, caliber, ammunition, etc.

2. Not all people consider cleaning guns as a "hassle". Also, aside from "cleaning", another side effect is "inspection". Simply because the gun is already clean is not enough to warrant that there would be no need for it to be taken apart again.

3. Is the product a consumable item? ie. chemicals? Or is the product some sort of machine that only needs to be pointed at a gun and all residue would simply fall out - all in a matter of seconds? :D

Preston,

For a shotgun, I voted "Maybe." And that "maybe" vote would be for barrel cleaning only.

For anything with rifling, my vote would be "No."

I use an electric drill with a copper brush to clean the inside of my revolver cylinders, but doing so with the barrel--where the rifling is--would be disasterous.

There are also parts on a gun that would not take well to such intense, rapid vibration.

And as others have said, cleaning isn't always a chore. I reload/handload my own ammuniton, so for me, the shooting process begins with my reloading the ammo I am going to shoot. Then I go and do the actual shooting. Then, after I've put my empty brass in the tumbler to clean so I can reload it again, I sit down to clear my gun.

It's all part of shooting for me.

Good luck on your research and please do not be timid about posting other questions you may have.

Jeff

#1 problem with my trap and skeet guns= Not able to hit enough targets.
#2 problem= Swear at them and they still dont hit targets any better.
SOLUTION= Make gun that listens better when you curse at it. :D

Thanks for all of the input, it seems as if sticking a brush down the barrel of a gun might not be the easiest or best idea. Our team looked at the boresnake and found that we really liked it. However, we were wondering how effective it is, other than a quick clean. Are there any problems with the boresnake for a deep clean. We thought that if by implanting the sonicating device where the brushes are (within the boresnake), we would be able to add a considerable amount of cleaning power for guns with rifling or guns in general. So a vibrating boresnake, that when powered on would be both flexible and stiff (due to the sonicating).

Your groups enthusiasm for the idea seems commendable but realise that you are delving into an area that has probably been thoroughly hashed out with thousands of products introduced over the decades to make bore cleaning convenient or more effective. Still most shooters stick to the basic systems of cleaning rods and patches in one form or another due to cost and effectiveness. One cleaner I think you should evaluate is a product called GUNZILLA that is safer and more environmentally friendly than some of the petroleum and harsh solvent based cleaners. Cleaning a smooth bore shotgun is usually not a great task in a breakopen action like a double, over under, or single shot. It is the guns that must be cleaned from the muzzle end that get more complicated. I also wonder to what extent fouling has any effect on the smoothbore as compared to a gun with a rifled bore and I suppose the main desire when cleaning a smoothbore shotgun is to prevent rust or corrosion more so than any effect on accuracy. Something that scrubs a shotgun bore more spotless than the usual brush and patches or swabs might be of interest to some shotgunners, but if the cost is substantially greater than the tried and true, you would have to show some performance improvement or great labor savings. So you like bore snakes, how about this-some kind of thing that looks like a shotgun shell, that has a pneumatic pressure as a propellent, and shoots an object like a combined brush and swab, thru the bore for a quick cleaning? Like, this fits in the chamber like a shell, but when "fired"(with compressed air or something that does not combust or create it's own residues) cleans the barrel from end to end and pops out the end harmlessly, for a reasonable, if not meticulously perfect, cleanup between rounds during a shooting match. Nylon brush in front, and solvent bearing(or not)cotten bore swab behind. Just blow out most of the residue left from firing and not necessarily spotless enough for long term storage. If there is lead buildup in the bore, that usually takes alot of work to remove. Maybe a better lead remover? Maybe something like teflon inside the bore to prevent lead and crud sticking? Well, good luck anyway.

Shotshell cleaner

There is already a shotshell cleaner that is on the market. Load shell, fire gun and pull the element thru barrel. They are moderately priced. I think around 14.95 per 5. They are made by Rhose Inc. (rhoseinc.com) Also you dont want a brush that vibrates in a rifled barrel due to wanting to keep the rifling in a scratch free enviroment. you want your rifle cleaner to follow the rifling twist and not go against it due to the possibility of scratching or wearing the lands which would ruin the barrel and render it useless for anything but beating the guy that made the cleaning machine that did it. They already have sonic cleaners on the market and you should take a look at them to see what your getting into. I think its great you all are taking this task on but you should realy look and see what other machines are out there before wasting alot of time and money on something that may already be made. On the other hand, If you can do it cheaper, then let the best man win. And PLEASE dont let MADE IN CHINA be the name on the side plate. MADE IN U.S.A. looks ALOT better! Good Luck in your venture.

Last edited:
Back