Gun carry related to profession?

John/az2

I had a revelation today (not deep enough to be an epiphany).

Somebody asked me, "Why do you carry a gun to clean windows?"

Then after a brief exchange, the thought occured to me, "Why is wearing a gun related to the profession?"

How stupid are the questions I receive: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>

"How come you need a gun to clean windows?"

"Why do you carry a gun to clean windows?"[/quote]

I've decided not to be funny about it anymore.

My response to the next person to ask the question as it relates to my profession is going to get this response: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"Your first mistake is to assume that I only carry my gun when I clean windows. And your second one is your consent to be a helpless victim of a violent crime. I carry because I have chosen to be pro-active instead of reactive."[/quote]

It probably needs some tweaking, but that will come after each test.

[/rant]

------------------
John/az

"The middle of the road between the extremes of good and evil, is evil. When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..." RKBA!

www.quixtar.com
referal #2005932

My reply to anyone nosy enough to ask why I "need" a gun to do whatever it is I'm doing would be- "I 'need' it because crime can happen to anyone at anytime. I refuse to be a victim. Howsabout YOU?" Then I would throw away whatever concealment method I was using at that time, since being asked that would mean it didn't adequately conceal my firearm. ;)

------------------
Lady Justice has been raped, truth assassin;
Rolls of red tape seal your lips, now you're done in;
Their money tips her scales again, make your deal;
Just what is truth? I cannot tell, cannot feel.

The ultimate in vanity
Exploiting their supremacy
I can't believe the things you say
I can't believe, I can't believe the price we pay- nothing can save us
Justice is lost, Justice is raped, Justice is gone
Pulling your strings,Justice is done...
Seeking no truth, winning is all,
Find it so grim, so true, so real....

If it isn't Scottish, it's CRAP! RKBA!

There was an instance in New Mexico where a man was running a large vacuum cleaner (actually a parking lot cleaner.) when some local cholos from a gang decided to rob him. He drew his .38 and dispatched at least one of them to that great lowrider in the sky. (or was it down below?)

marsh

John, Mas Ayoob provides a solid philosophical basis for this answer. I can't deliver it as well as he does, but I understood it as essentially the following:

Each of us has a responsibility to ourselves, our families and other innocents to defend against the 'wolves' in our society. We are like sheepdogs in a flock of lambs. We have teeth like the wolf, speed like the wolf, and we can kill ... like the wolf. To the sheep, we sometimes seem the same as the wolf - they have trouble discerning the difference. However, like the sheepdog, we provide security against the predators.

What man or woman can live with themselves if they do nothing to protect the innocent? As responsible gun owners, we are ready to fight the predator until the professionals arrive. For the professionals cannot be everywhere at once, and they are usually not present when the predator strikes.

We have chosen to defend the defenseless. We aren't vigilantes. We don't seek conflict, and we reject violence. And, we recognize the terrible costs of gun violence. But if necessary, we are ready to stop violence with the judicious use of lethal force. Anything less is an acceptance of rule by society's predators, and a tacit admission that we prize peace so much that we are willing to sacrifice our own children to the vain pursuit of that peace.

It's not about guns ... it is about freedom. It is a 2nd Amendment civil right, and it is a recognition that each adult must take responsibility for the initial defense of themselves and their families.

IMHO, it has nothing to do with profession, per se. However, due to their focus, certain professions produce people with varying degrees of sensitivity to this issue. CPA's see little violence, so most care little for the issue. LEO's see plenty, and it appears that most experienced LEO's understand full well that citizens must look to themselves for their initial defense. Doctors and religious leaders tend to see only the costs of gun violence, versus the benefits of defense, so they tend to get a distorted view of the issue.

The message I give people now is that the gun is mainly an article of 'safety equipment'. Like a fire extinguisher, it is seldom used to prevent loss. Some folks will never get it.

Sorry for the length, but I've been thinking a good deal about this very subject. John, take care.

Regards from AZ

ps - your answer is great!

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited September 25, 1999).]

Thanks for the quote and great post, Jeff. Your points are well formed, it IS about Freedom, social responsibility, and individual responsibility. i live in a fairly benign environment, with little threatening experience to suggest that I should be armed at all times. Then again, I was a Boy Scout, and as several of you pointed out, you just never know -.

As I got back into handguns about 1.5 years ago and got my CCW last October, I've been thinking about this a lot, and these posts articulat much of what I've been feeling. Part of it is because I can (and the belief that if you don't exercise your rights, you lose them), some of it is that I just like guns and like having one (or 10) around, and maybe there's a little Dudley Doright in there to - I'd like to think that if and when the time came, I'd be a stand-up guy. Still, sport and entertainment aside, I feel the irony of developing a skill I hope I never have to use on another human being. M2

Last night on Nash Bridges, some Bad Guy took a young woman hostage in a Stop-n-Rob. As he held the evil "automatic" to the girl's head and faced the street (with his back to the rest of the store), my wife commented, "He better hope none of your TFL buddies are customers in there!"

Made me feel good for a number of reasons! :D

BTW, Nash faced the BG down and SWAT finished him off right smart!

No trial, no bond, very little taxpayer expense and (most importantly) no repeat offenses! ;)

Pacifism for the sake of pacifism is the height of arrogant selfishnes when that belief prevents you from acting to save others from harm.

I don't know who actually said that but it really cuts to the chase.

------------------
You are... What you do... When it counts.
The Masao

Back