Gun Camera/Camera Gun (for police?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckpj99

I saw this post on a photography website about a revolver used "in" New York in the 1930's that had a camera attached under the barrel. Think of how laser sights are mounted, and you'll have the right idea. This post didn't specify whether it was designed for LE or not.

You can check out the post yourself here - http://www.petapixel.com/2011/05/19/revolver-camera-shoots-bullets-and-photos-at-the-same-time/

I guess this was like the old-timey version of a cruiser cam. I know a lot of LEOs frequent this site, and I have question (really interested, not trying to stir up anything).

There was a recent shooting in my city. To summarize, the police were called to investigate a non-fatal stabbing. They approached the suspect who had his hand in his pocket. They verbally ordered him to take his hand out of his pocket. He was slow to comply. Then he EITHER lunged at a LEO with the knife OR attempted to throw the knife away (accounts differ). The two officers closest to the suspect did not fire. A third officer farther away did, killing the suspect. Needless to say, there is some drama surrounding the incident.

In our city, cruiser cams are only activated with the sirens are on, so none of this was caught on film. I'm curious to know what people's opinions are about monitoring police activity with cameras (gun-mounted may be a bit of stretch obviously, but that's what got me thinking). My initial thought is why not have camera on somewhere all the time to avoid sticky lawsuits. But I also think that police may feel that a jury of non-LEOs may not be able to properly interpret what happened.

I'd love to hear some thoughts, especially from LEOs.

Not sure this is the right forum. Not really about training, not specifically about guns either. I apologize if this is the wrong place to post something like this. No hard feelings if moved or deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back