Gun Buy Back Suit?

Elker_43

Here is a story about a suit being brought against the administration for gun buy-backs. http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/gun19.html

Libertarian sues over gun buybacks
September 19, 1999

BY FRANK MAIN GUN ISSUES REPORTER

The leader of the Chicago Libertarian Party is suing Cook County Sheriff Michael Sheahan, saying a program to buy back guns from the public violates federal firearms laws.

The lawsuit in U.S. District Court seeks an order stopping the program Sheahan launched this month. The sheriff collected 1,001 guns last weekend, 1,205 on Friday and 1,175 on Saturday. They have included at least one AK-47 assault rifle and an Uzi submachine gun, though most are small-caliber handguns.

Participants receive either $50 cash or a $75 gift certificate for each gun. The program is scheduled to continue next Friday and Saturday.

The man who filed the lawsuit, Matthew Beauchamp, chairman of the Chicago Libertarian Party, said buy-back programs do not reduce crime and also give money to people to upgrade their weapons.

The lawsuit contends Sheahan's office needs to have a federal firearms license to purchase weapons. It also claims the sheriff is violating the law by accepting weapons without asking donors for identification.

"If I did the same thing, the sheriff would be knocking on my door," said John Birch, president of Oak Brook-based Concealed Carry Inc., which supports the suit and opposes gun control measures such as the buy-back.

"[Sheahan] is using taxpayer dollars to do it. That's what really irritates us."

But Bill Cunningham, spokesman for the sheriff's office, said, "We're confident we're on firm legal ground."

Jerry Singer, spokesman for the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, said government entities do not need a license to purchase or dispose of weapons. They are exempt from the federal Gun Control Act, he said.

Sheahan's program was announced Sept. 9, the same day that President Clinton unveiled a
proposal to give local communities $15 million to purchase firearms from private citizens. The sheriff has said the buy-back program could prevent gun-related deaths.

[This message has been edited by Elker_43 (edited September 22, 1999).]

Another good example of the government being above the law.

------------------
John/az

"The middle of the road between the extremes of good and evil, is evil. When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..." RKBA!

www.quixtar.com
referal #2005932

Do you know if they accept BB guns? I've got a couple in storage that i haven't got around to fixing since i was a kid. I could buy a brand new one for $50!

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

Yep, I keep thinking next time I'm going near Chicago I'll reassemble my dad's old .32 (it's been sandblasted and sat as parts for at least ten years in a Ziploc. Sounds like it's worth $50, right?

Heck I wish I had a buncha old broke no-goodies... 50 bucks a few times over - could apply that to getting my NRA LIFE MEMBERSHIP! :)

Or a New UZI at a Gun Show! :D

------------------
"There is no limit to stupidity. Space itself is said to be bounded by its own curvature, but stupidity continues beyond infinity."
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Back