Gun buy-back program flop....

RCH

Well, well, well... The Metropolitan (Washington, DC) Police Department admitted today that all the guns turned in under this years gun buy-back netted ZERO guns that were used in a comission of a crime! The local news reports all guns in were checked/examined by the BATF and not one was found to be used in a crime.

Average age of the guns turned in was 17 years old. 70% of those turned in were handguns.

Congratulations guys, you just spent several thousands of dollars that DC can't afford to remove what was most likely a bunch of worthless junk!

Gun buy backs are great. Go round up all the crappy rusted junk you couldn't give away and sell it to idiot politicians. I don't know but I think $100 for a gun that is older than me and rusted shut would be a good idea.
Lets get together and round up all the crap we can find and wait for the next buy back.
Gang where else can you foist a crappy gun on somebody and get away with it!

Something was on NPR about this. The DC Cops admitted no gun taken in had been associated with a crime, but they're declaring victory in "removing them before they could be used in a crime,or found by children",etc.

DC STILL has a murder rate only slightly lower than Medellin, Columbia...

Wellll, it still is a darn shame they didn't get any guns actually used in a crime ... since those are clearly 'bad' guns, that have turned to the dark side ... ;)

And, if they actually got a gun that was used in a crime ... perhaps our LEO members can tell us how valuable that usually is? I suppose it's possible it could be traced to the BG, but I find that highly unlikely, no?

I always get a kick out of these antis when one of their Great Plans doesn't work out. Their standard cop-out "Well, IT COULD HAVE/WOULD HAVE, IF, IF, IF . . ."

Reminds me of the old locker room joke that IF the queen had cojones she'd be king.

------------------
The New World Order has a Third Reich odor.

For a gun to be traced to a crime it has to have been fired and the bullet or cartridge case recovered. From that, the last official owner can be identified and squeezed for information. If you are the last identifiable owner, the pressure will be intense to prove you are the criminal or to get you to provide the name of the person you gave or sold the gun to. Your unwillingness to cooperate will be considered evidence you are either part of a criminal conspiracy to commit the crime or an accessory to the crime.

When the police have a name, they can start focusing on that person. They can start matching other evidence found at the crime. They can start matching that person's known movements to establish if that person was in the vicinity of the scene of the crime on the date and time of the crime.

When the suspect is interviewed and asked to comment on the evidence collected, many times it is the suspect's lies that cement the case.

All it takes sometimes for the case to "gel" is a name. Remember the Unabomber? His brother provided the name.

In my county an eight year old girl was kidnapped, sexually abused, and murdered. The police and sheriff were stymied for close to two months. They didn't even have a body. When the body was discovered in another county, they still didn't have an idea on who did it until the killer's sister who lived near where the body was discovered called and said, "I think you better have a look at my brother. He molested me when we were children."

Without help from the sister, the police and sheriff may never have caught the killer.

All it takes is a name.

------------------
Bruce Stanton
CDR, USN-Ret.
Sgt., Kings Co. Sheriff - Ret.

Here's the final tally from the highly successful D.C. gun buyback:

They gave out $300,000 at the rate of $100 for each "working" gun.

All guns were examined and none were linked to a crime.

Quote from Chief of Police, "These weapons won't be used to harm anyone." [Like gang members, rapists, thieves, home invaders.]

The mix was:
51% revolvers
25% pistols
10% shotguns
10% rifles
4% pellet guns [Damn! I passed up a good chance to upgrade my old Crosman!]

And here's the kicker - 50% came from outside of the city.

The buyback was considered "such a success that $500,000 will be allotted for the next one."

Another obstacle to tracing firearms acquired during these buyback programs is that they are usually conducted under a "no questions asked" policy.
If I remember correctly, this DC buyback was conducted in this manner. Somebody criticized them for possibly helping criminals get rid of evidence and that is when they decided to test the guns they took in to see if any could be connected to a crime.
Now, I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me that if you have a "no questions asked" policy, you are assuring anybody that turns a gun in that their action won't come back to bite them. Even if they were able to connect a firearm to a crime, could they then use it as evidence against the person who turned it in? Wouldn't that constitute entrapment?
These programs are a waste of time. They take in mostly junk guns and even if they manage to get one that was used in a crime, the chances are that it will be worthless to them as evidence.

I don't know if any of you watched ER last night, but Dr. Carter (Noah Wylie) conducted a gun buyback program of his own. He started out trading Christmas presents for guns to the local gang bangers. He did quite well, amassing a bag full and was quite pleased with himself.
As the show drew to a close, the EMT's started wheeling in several of the punks who had traded in their guns earlier that evening. They simply went out and got another gun and shot each other up anyway.
I guess there's a lesson there somewhere.

Back