Gulf War Syndrome linked to anit-nerve gas pill

Futo Inu

Yep, study was funded by Pentagon, found a "possible link" to the drug with a long name and an acronym which now both escape me. You gulf vets with the symptoms should apply or re-apply, as the case may be, for veterans benefits, or perhaps wait longer until a better study comes out. Contact a social security disability attorney if you get turned down. Many should be savvy with federal benefits in general.

Futo Inu,

Here's some additional info:

The pill is Pyridostigmine Bromide or "PB". Used in the Gulf War to counter the very quick acting nerve agent "GD" or Soman.

The Rand report to which you refer said "it couldn't be ruled out as a possible cause" which is a far cry from saying it is actually linked to it.

for lots more details clik on the link below:

Gulf War Info

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited October 26, 1999).]

Thanks for the info, Mykl. The phrase "possible link", which I put in quotes in my original post, was the exact phrase (hence the quotes) used by my local TV station reporter - and you know how they never exaggerate, so... The study also concluded, IIRC, that the PB pills are only marginally effective, if at all, in protecting against the nerve gas.

It is very effective as a pre-treatment against soman, because the toxicity or enzyme kinetics of soman are different (read: faster, meaner & nastier effects) than other garden-variety nerve agents. The concept is to "pre-treat" as opposed to relying on treatment after exposure; as the latter has some serious drawbacks, like not being near fast enough to help... The PB is frequently used in the medical treatment of myasthenia gravis, a neurological condition.

On a related subject, My wife posted this to another board:

Tonight I talked with a friend whose husband had some of the experimental immunizations the military required 'our boys' to take during the Persian Gulf crisis. They're now testing him for MS. The Doctor (not the VA doctor, my friend doesn't trust them after the VA dr. perscribed narcotics without telling that it was narcotics) the doctor they're currently seeing says that everyone he's seen who had that experimental immunization and has the symptoms this fellow is exhibiting has come down with MS. The kicker is that the U.S. military is still requiring this immunization. More recently, about 8 Marines refused to take it, based on the medical questionability, and were dishonorably discharged within 3 days.

My personal side comment:
A dishonorable discharge means that they will never be able to buy guns.

sbryce's wife here, wondering why my text in another window was highlighted. Now I know!
My friend's husband was given some sort of experimental pills in addition to the vaccination mentioned above. These may have been the same pills Futo Inu mentioned, I don't know. I was simply trying to absorb some generalities about the overwhelming health problems in that family, I haven't caught details yet. My heart hurts for them.

I remember reading a pamphlet put out by the Army back during "Desert Shield". They discussed the possible side effects of the anti nerve agents and other pharmeceutical and environmental hazards the troops would be facing in Saudi. These pamphlets were supposed to be distributed to the troops but I don't think they ever were. Also I recall that our Congress passed legislation at that time which allowed the military to give drugs to the troops without FDA approval or testing. Anyone in Washington that says that this connection to Gulf War Syndrome is a mystery or the news your hearing today are revelations is being disengeniuos to say the least. Does anyone know if any of these anti-nerve agents were given in the states prior to shipping out to Saudi in the form of shots?

------------------
In the shadow of Bunker Hill from the People's Republic of Massachusetts

Back