Guided whitetail Hunt

deerslayer303

Hey guys, I'm looking to maybe fill a bucket list hunt. I've always wanted to go on a guided hunt. Something with a lodge, meals, commroderie, and most of all NO fences, I want a fair chase. I've always hunted in SC with the exception of one Ohio public land hunt last year. So I would like to venture to another state. I've looked at a bunch of them on the net but I figured I would pose the question to my fellow Hunters who maybe have done this type of thing before.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Lots pay to hunt possibilities in the midwest. I'll tell you outright that most of north central MO has taken a heavy hit in deer population. Southern Iowa may be on a similar track but I haven't heard/seen that in writing.
Our farms have been hit hard and numbers are 1/2 of what we saw in 2013/2014. Son killed an outstanding buck(175-180) last November but we found an even bigger buck's rotted carcass in Feb of this year in the same area(probably EHD as the skeleton was intact and showed no evidence of bullet or arrow).
Hunting in my area is longer a "walk up and ask a farmer" proposition. I (and many others) only allow family members to hunt-both as a liability limiter and simply to preserve opportunities for kids/Grandkids.

Canada, Montana, North Dakota will give you fair chase, no fences, guided hunts. You might be too late for this year in some areas. Good guides fill up quickly and many states, especially out West, use a draw system for tags which usually happens after the first of the year.

Got a budget in mind? And a preferred State?
If you opt for here, you'll have to pay $25Cdn for our daft firearm declaration as well. Sounds worse than it really is though. Unless you don't know about it. No handguns whatsoever.
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm
Non-resident hunting licences tend to be really friggin' expensive too. Ontario wants $241.61Cdn for a non-resident deer tag. No discrimination for Americans though. Every non-resident pays that much. snicker.
Oh and it's $274.76Cdn in Saskatchewan.
Goes by the State/Province, of course. And some jurisdictions restrict where and when non-residents can hunt. Any outfitter will be able to tell you everything you need to know.

I was figuring on spending 5k. But seems some outfitters charge a flat rate then so much for the size buck you take. Like shopping for a buck lol.

It's not something I would do alot. I have no trouble filling my freezer here. I just want to experience something like that.

"...I just want to experience..." I'd be thinking something other than Bambi for a 5 grand hunt. Buffalo, with a single shot .45-70, for example. 5 grand might do that, Stateside, with no fuss. Ran $6500US plus, in Alberta, in 2014.
Just a thought. Deer, you can hunt at home. Why spend 5 grand for that?
Oh and if you go that route, you'll need a bigger freezer. Mature bulls will weigh up to 2,500 lbs. yielding 700+ lbs. of meat.

I agree, pay to hunt is going to have to be Caribou or Sheep in Alaska for me. Living in CO, I get 2 deer species, Elk, Pronghorn and have a good number of points for Moose.

The Indian Reservations in Southern CO and Northern NM have what is currently the best, and a LOT of trophy bulls, elk hunting in the Country. That might be another thing to look at.

As one drives into Sundance, Wyoming there is a big sign which reads, "Whitetail Capital of the World". Plenty of public lands in Crook County, too.

Jack

Buffalo, with a single shot .45-70, for example.
O'Heir, did you go on an American Buffalo hunt you enjoyed? Everyone I have heard about the hunter was quite disappointed.

The Indian Reservations in Southern CO and Northern NM have what is currently the best, and a LOT of trophy bulls, elk hunting in the Country.
Sounds like an interesting angle on a guided hunt to me.

Why would you want to have some one guide you on a hunt?

I'm not into having some one guide me to hunt. I like the challenge of hunting.

Although If I were to go to Alaska I believe a guide is required for your hunt by law.

Longshot, sometimes a fella just wants to be pampered. :)

A step above us Olde Pharts at deer camp, where the young'uns are supposed to take care of the necessary chores. (Firewood, ice in the cooler, dish-washing, etc.)

Back