Guide rod damage question

Jeryray

These are photos of my new Sig super match. Used some federal SWC loads.

I think I just need the guide rod. Sig wants me to send the gun in, just got it 2 weeks ago.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• supermatch.jpg
    supermatch.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 145
Ship it to Sig.

Aside from the fact that something's clearly wrong...
Unless you've done something to it that you don't want them to see, what do you have to lose?

My concerns are:

It was just hot loads, I won't do that again.

Sif says they will email a FedEx shipping label.

Can I just drop it in this manner.

Is it safe to ship without going through a dealer?

Is just a fedEx receipt good enough?

There could be other things causing this besides hot loads.
If you send the pistol back to Sig, they will no doubt replace everything that could be remotely responsible and you will have essentially a brand new gun.
It would be foolish for them to do anything else.

As for the shipping question, federal law is agreeable to shipping and receiving directly to the manufacturer, but NY law... that could be another matter.
Best check with someone who knows NY laws.

Last edited:
If this particular model of yours is chambered for .45acp, it's going to be difficult to cause harm with such a relatively low pressure round.
It would take a really hot load, (huge reloading error) to do that.

If you want to play with it to see what's what, try this:
Remove the recoil spring and slowly work the action, looking for resistance.
Also rotate the recoil rod on a smooth surface, like a piece of plate glass, to see if it's bent or wobbles.

Last edited:
SIG wants to repair the gun under warranty. You don't want to send it to them? :confused:

If you are confused about legality of shipping the gun directly to SIG and receiving it back again, go to your local FFL and have them log it in and handle the shipment. Although I am fairly sure SIG is familiar with your local gun laws, I don't know what kind of foolishness NYC has been up to lately, so this might be a safe way to handle the whole affair.

If you are confused about legality of shipping the gun directly to SIG and receiving it back again, go to your local FFL and have them log it in and handle the shipment. Although I am fairly sure SIG is familiar with your local gun laws, I don't know what kind of foolishness NYC has been up to lately, so this might be a safe way to handle the whole affair.
Nonsense, why do you assume NYC when he states NY area perfectly legal to ship a handgun back to the manufacturer and for them to ship it back to you. getting a FFL dealer involved is just complicating things and adding expense for nothing.

^^^^^^
People don't realize that once you are free of NYC metro, New York state is the boondocks. I can attest to this by once living in Dutchess County, NY after living in Queens County NY.

NYC would just love to find any excuse to cancel your permit.

Once you have 5 guns, they can do spot inspections.

You think showing them a fedex label would satisfy them?

And you best not have more than 4 boxes of any ammo either.

We can't even leave the 5 boroughs to Nassau or Suffolk shooting ranges.

People don't realize that once you are free of NYC metro, New York state is the boondocks. I can attest to this by once living in Dutchess County, NY after living in Queens County NY.
I've lived in "upstate" (:rolleyes:) NY, as well.
The whole state is a nightmare.

I wouldn't even come close to rating Dutchess County as "the boondocks". They're still stupidly restrictive, incredibly anti-gun, and anti-American.

I wouldn't even consider entertaining the term, "the boondocks" until north of at least the 42nd Parallel. But, as mentioned above, that's still out of reach, in my opinion and given the inference (of lax firearms laws) from the context.

Jeryray ...
Fight or Flight.

It was fast because I paid SIG $24 for 2 day shipping.

Just wanted to see what was what.

Seems fine, just takes a lot of strength to move the slide back.

Back