Guide gun

MDS

I tend to over read about guns I'm interested in. Curious to hear from people who have the newer Marlin Guide gun in 45-70. What's been your experience?
I read some mixed reviews from the Remington made Marlins.

Me I hate the things as it a 30-30 gun modified to shoot 45-70 vs a real 1895. A 6 pound 50-70 kicks less.

I have a new marlin 1895 gbl that my girlfriend got me for Christmas and I am very happy with it.

Thanks for the feedback. Most of what I hear is pretty positive. I'm looking at the basic 1895G Pretty sweet looking rifle.

I picked up an 1895 guide (stainless) a few years back. It's one of my favorite rifles. I haven't shot it in some time now, but remember the recoil being awful on the bench, but very manageable when fired while standing.

One thing is for sure; I won't be trading/selling it anytime soon.

Trigger sucked. 6.5 Lbs. and gritty as hell. Put a Wild West Trigger http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=marlin+1895+wild+west+trigger in it, dropped it to 2.5 Lbs. and smooth as silk. Put a 0-4 x 22 scope on it. Worked up a flat shooting load from 50 to 100 yards with a 300 gr. bullet and I absolutely love this rifle.

Marlin1895SBLA_zps315f9202.jpg

Last edited:
Got one in .450 Marlin. Put on ghost rings rear and new post front. Love it . A bear and two hogs do not:cool:

I got the standard 1895 in December because that's all that was available. The stock is thicker and the rifle is .5# heavier. Skinner Sights and KickEZE make it real comfortable with 405s @1600. As far a quality, the fit, finish, and action are as smooth as my 70s vintage 39Mountie.

Well, the one I checked out at the LGS the other day had ~5lb lever pull that was gritty as all-get-out. The kicker was that the lever hadn't been smoothed. The corners of the loop cutout hadn't been deburred! Talk about OW! when you touch off a 45-70! :eek:

I racked it once, and was all, "why did that hurt a little just now?" :confused:

TCB

The corners of the loop cutout hadn't been deburred! Talk about OW! when you touch off a 45-70!

Even deburred, the factory lever is too small and needs replaced with a big loop. Ahhh, comfort. That Happy Trigger from WWG turns a good rifle into a great rifle.

X 2 Deer with mine.

Last edited:
I just got one about a month ago. Its a plain old 1895G.

The action was a little rough, and most of that is where the notch in the bolt for the firing pin disconnect hangs up on the hammer as it passes over it. I filed the hammer some and smoothed it out with some emery and it seems to be a good bit smoother, but still hangs a little at the same spot. A Winchester it aint.

I also removed the recoil pad and fitted a butt plate to it. Fits much better now, and with no hang ups shouldering.

Shooting wise, it shoots pretty good. Im waiting on a Skinner rear sight for it right now. Will probably replace the front sight with an XS I have that came with my Trappers Ghost Ring once the peep gets here. The factory sights, both front and rear are a little lacking.

I mostly shoot 300 grain LRNFP over 14.0 grains of Trail Boss at around 1200fps, and its a soft, fun shooter.

MDS Sweet, what did you have done?

:cool: Thanks!
I installed the new sights, scout optic rail and recoil pad.

Clements performed the following work:

+2 extended mag tube
4.0 lb trigger job
Aluminum follower
Stock bedding
Re-crown barrel
Stainless DC lever

Back