Guidance: New Ruger 77VT in .223?

Elker_43

Hi all,
I just won a Ruger 77VT (Bull Barrel) in .223 with a laminated stock (this thing weighs a ton). I need some guidance on a) should I just put it in my gun case cause it looks pretty; b) if I use it, what scope to fit it with; c)what ammo and loads should I use; d) type of targets and distances to go for; e) other internet sites that might help me; and f) just some plain old schooling on this weapon. Thanks in advance.

------------------

I have a VT in .243 and I have a shooting buddy with VT's in .308 and .22-250.

These are shooting machines! All of ours will do 1/2 MOA or better out to 300/400 yards with the right ammo. Mine does it with plain old Winchester Super-X and my friend's will beat it with his handloads. We have a ball taking "head shots" on bowling pins at 300.

They will take any scope you want but you'll need the high rings for a 50mm objective. Our scopes top out at about 24x and the VT can put them to good use.

If you like shooting into the next zip code, you'll love this rifle.

Mikey

Mikey,
Thanks for the input. I know I'll enjoy this rifle. I was excited when I won it, and treally excited to shoot it. I'll do as much research as I can and once again thanks for you input. (Don't get confused with the two different names (Elker_43 and ElkerDan) same person, two different computers at two seperate locations). Good Shootin.
DAN

Great!

And if you get tired of feeding it, I have started the "Adopt a Ruger M77 VT" program and I'll provide a good home for unwanted rifles.

Mikey

Sounds like you need to set up a prairie dog session. If you go after elk, you shouldn't be too far from some good pd towns.

Tell us how you won it.

Mal,
Ever heard of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation? There are fund raising banquets all over the US. I attend about three every year here in the state of "K"alifornia. I am on one of the committes also (that has no bearing on winning) Anyway, most banquets have door prizes, live auctions, silent auctions, games and raffles. My chapter gave away as door prizes and raffles, a total of 61 rifles and handguns this year. I've been very lucky the past four years (I also spend a lot of $$). My winning count is 6 rifles, 3 handguns, a Bushnell 1000 yard laser range finder, Burris 10x50 Binoculars, various paintings and other items. My point here is that you must spend $ to win and all of your $ goes towards wildlife habitate and you also get some tax writ-offs for it. If you've never been to one, you are in for a treat....
Dan

------------------
To own firearms is to affirm that freedom and liberty are not gifts from the state.

Forgot to let you know, there is a web site for the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation:

http://www.rmef.org/

Dan

------------------
To own firearms is to affirm that freedom and liberty are not gifts from the state.

Back