Guess What I'm doing today! Up to my elbow in COSMO!!

deerslayer303

Oh the joys of collecting Mil Surp!! While I thank the armorers and the cosmoline for doing such a fine job in preserving these fine relics. I absolutely HATE removing the stuff. I'm doing my nagant revolver, and two 91/30's. Although I wish I could buy some cosmoline somewhere, to preserve engine parts that I have on the shelf, I use axle grease now but it deteriorates after a while. Any way back to the mess!

I wish I could buy some cosmoline somewhere, to preserve engine parts that I have on the shelf, I use axle grease now but it deteriorates after a while.

Get yerself two or three cans of LPS3. One of the better long-term corrosion preventers, and not anywhere near as messy as Cosmoline.

LPS3? What is it? I definately need to find something better, I had honestly though about greasing this stuff up and using my vacuum sealer LOL but some of the sharp edges on this stuff will cut the bags.

LPS 3 is a brand name for paralketone. Paralketone is a fairly thick oil based substance that sprays on and then dries to a soft waxy coating. It will keep stuff preserved for years. I lived in south Florida for many years and kept all my guns (the ones I didn't shoot on a regular basis that is) liberally coated with LPS 3 in plastic bags. I live in Arizona now, and some of these guns I'm looking at again for the first time in 25 years and they are fine.

Paralketone is a corrosion protectant used in the bellies of aircraft and also in boats. LPS is only one of many companies that make it. If you Google "paralketone", you can find other vendors that sell it.

You can buy it at your local Ace Hardware store or they can order it for you if they don't stock it in your store. It's not cheap, but it keeps guns rust free for decades, and is an easy clean off.

Last edited:
Cosmo off a nagant revolver.

No problem. Next time you wife goes to out toss it in the dishwasher and put it on sanitize. :D

Doug

For storage and easy of removal get yourself RIG Grease. It is one of the best rust preventative products out there. Much more user friendly for ease of applying and removing.

I have had great success removing cosmoline with plain lacquer thinner. Lacquer thinner removes all trace of the stuff and does so quickly.

Chief,
Does the thinner mess up the blueing at all? That might be the ticket to get all the cosmoline out of the chamber area on the nagant

Lacquer thinner (denatured alcohol) is the way to go, especially for handguns, since you can dunk the whole gun in a relatively small container. It does not affect bluing or most wood finishes, except for shellac. Cosmoline melts away.

I have never had a problem with lacquer thinner removing the blueing. It evaporates real fast. I soak a rag with it and wipe down parts, especially the barrel after it is removed from the wood. Small parts, I let soak briefly in a can. After cleaning, I wipe parts with whatever gun oil you prefer.

I have also used lacquer thinner to remove cosmoline from wood as it displaces cosmoline from the pores. I would only recommend lacquer thinners use on wood only if there is no poly based coating on it and you plan on refinishing the wood.
If you are sceptical, of it damaging blue, I would test a piece first. I have cleaned many cosmoline packed milsurps with this stuff. The military solution was to use Naptha or PD680 to remove cosmo, however Naptha has been deemed hazmat and is hard to find.

Back