Guess what I found at a Pawn Shop

cobraman

Browning Hi Power All Stainless witht the Gold Trigger and one 13rd mag. The slide to frame fit is a little loose and the safety has a fleck of rust on it.
What's a Fair price? They are asking $500 for it so I passed. Would $400 be ok to pay? or is that still too much. I figured I would offer 4 if you guys approved.

Depending on how much it has been used, $500 actually doesn't sound all that bad.

Last one of these I saw at a gunshow in Northern Virginia had a $700 price tag on it.

Well I took it apart and the barrel looked great except that the Jerkie that owned it didnt clean it after firing. Other that the loose slide to frame fit and the rusty safety it looks great. I think I will run over at lunch and wave 400 bones at them and see want they say.

Browning never made a stainless Hi-Power. It sounds like you are describing a Browning Silver Chrome Hi-Power. The slide-to-frame fit sounds pretty normal for a Hi-Power although the fleck of rust on the safety doesn't.

$500 seems like a fair price but I would probably try and beat him down on it based on the rust.

Pant! Pant! Pant! Okay I ran over there at lunch and waved the 400 at them and point at the rust. Sold! for 400 even. I am going to Change the Safety and Grips and the Rear sight is Adjustable,but not in great shape. Also it says made in Belgium. No assembled in Portugal on it. Any way to tell when it was made?

According to the Blue Book, you got in on the "good deal" side of "just about the right price". They say it should be in the neighborhood of $415. If it is the Silver/chrome model, they started in 1991. If it is the nickel/chrome model, they were discontinued in 1985. Since you said it has adj sights, it is almost certainly the Silver/chrome model. Browning started a new serialization method in 1977 so you might have to email them to get the birthdate. What are the first few characters of the serial number?

Definately the Silver Chrome version. I will look up the serial number in a few minutes. I believe it was born in before 94 because of the factory Silver 13rd mag that came with it. I will clean it up and shoot it either tonight or tomorrow.

I used something called "Fitz" on my Ruger when I got a spot of rust on it, and it cleaned it up really nice... give it a try. I think it's some kind of metal polish.

Ben

I checked the FNHiPower site for date codes. According to the info there my pistol was made in 1982. I kind of doubt but I will email Browning for comformation.

If it was 1982, then you have a nickel/chrome model. It has the same value as the silver/chrome, so in either case you still got a good deal.

Back in the 70's, a friend of mine bought a Browning HP "Renaissance". It was heavily engraved. Anybody have any idea what it's worth, assuming excellent condition?

Back