GSSF Carolton TX May 1-2 first timer report

dosjoel

Greetings,

Ten months ago I joined GSSF to get a discounted Glock and possibly to compete. I got a G17 and started practicing with it. I also started reading about the matches and after I got comfortable with the 17 I wanted to try my hand.

Finally there was a match in the local area and I went. No matter how much reading you do ahead of time it will not completely prepare you for the experience. I am glad I did the reading but there are surprises.

How did I do? Pretty good for a first timer but I made a few mistakes. I have been practicing with the NRA D1 targets and that helped. I also practiced hitting 8 " targets rapidly from about 30 feet and that helped too.

So what was my worst screw up? Probably rushing to load my magazines and loading two of them one round short. Embarrasing to run out of ammo before you should and it cost me for two "misses". Like I said no substitute for experience.

I read a post that said GSSF range folks were very rude in another state. They could not have been sweeter here in Texas. Very nice folks. The Glock armorer even gave me a box of 9s when I ran short and put a NY trigger in my gun for free.

I think I am hooked!

Fun! Do it!

I don't get to shoot as many matches as I'd like, but I try to make the GSSF shoots.

I had a personal best on my plates score but my other scores were a bit off so my overall scores dropped this year compared to last.

Normally I would have some pictures but the camera stayed at home this year due to the threat of rain.

The GSSF folks and the ROs provided by the Dallas Pistol Club are always very nice and are always willing to provide helpful tips and hints.

I always stop by the armorer's area--they usually have some entertaining stories and good information as well.

Back