gsg fake silencer now illegal ?

Well it seems as if there is some truth to it by looking thru those links. I would hope that lots more info would be provided before everyone gets too worked up. It does not look good for those owning a SD Model of the GSG right now but things could change for the better or worse.

Dealer in CT removed all his from the racks after an ATF audit. Not sure what is happening yet as there are several other gun shops with them for sale.

Excellent communication from the ATF on the product.

I'm interested to know what was problematic with the fake suppressors. Were they easy to convert to real ones? Or is this a ban based simply on the look of it.

(GunReports.com) — In the wake of a recent ATF reclassificaton of its GSG 5 SD barrel shroud as a suppressor, ATI has initiated an immediate recall of all barrel shrouds on its GSG 5 SD firearms.

A letter issued by ATI states:

To all retail customers:

On January 2010 American Tactical Imports Inc received official notification from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and explosives that the original barrel shroud (aka: fake suppressor) supplied with your GSG 5 SD model must be replaced. It has been determined that this shroud is regulated under the National Firearms Act. American Tactical will provide a replacement shroud at no charge for each GSG 5 SD model sold or currently in inventory.

Consumers in possession of a GSG 5 SD model with the original shroud in place on the firearm are now in violation of the NFA. To avoid continued violation of the NFA, ATI asks that all persons in possession obtain a replacement shroud as soon as possible. We anticipate arrival of the new shrouds to begin by the middle of February 2010.

IMPORTANT: THE ORIGINAL SD MODEL SHROUD MUST BE RETURNED ACCOMPANIED BY THE FIREARM SERIAL NUMBER BEFORE A REPLACEMENT SHROUD IS ISSUED. THE DIAMETER OF THE SD SHROUD IS 1-9/16”. DO NOT RETURN THE SMALLER CARBINE SHROUD.

WHAT TO DO:

If possible return your old shroud to the dealer where purchased and show him this notice. The shroud will be returned to ATI along with a list of serial numbers from the guns that the shrouds were removed. ATI will send replacements to the dealer for pick up at your convenience; ATI will be sending replacements as fast as logistics allow. If your dealer is out of business or difficult to reach, or you purchased your gun used, from a consumer, return the shroud directly by US mail or UPS to American Tactical Imports Inc. 100 Airpark Drive Rochester, NY 14624.

PLEASE TRY NOT TO CALL US. We will provide comprehensive information on our web sites: www.AmericanTactical.us, and www.AR15.com or by e-mail to ATIExchange@AmericanTactical.us.

REMEMBER, INCLUDE THE FIREARM SERIAL NUMBER WITH EACH SHROUD OR A REPLACEMENT WILL NOT BE ISSUED.

This action IS NOT being instituted through any fault and is strictly due to NFA compliance. American Tactical will assume the responsibility to satisfy the requirements in an effort to minimize the impact on our customers and protect your investment.

We at American Tactical Imports Inc. sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by this unfortunate situation.

Sincerely,
Anthony DiChario
President C.E.O. retailcandoc.021210

My question is i have the 1st anni edition and it came with a 1-1/4" fake suppressor, im guessing this doesnt fall under their specs so i would be good?

if your gsg 5 looks like this
gsg-5-sd-poster.jpg

Then you need to get it replaced, any other gsg-5's are ok as it sets right now, but you know the atf can always change it's mind......

Not quite like that, i have the narrower barrel cover and it doesnt have any writing on it.

I told the guy at my range today about this, considering he sold 2-3 of them he now needs to get in touch with those customers.

I'd like to know BATFE's basis for demanding a recall. This thing isn't a silencer or suppressor by any definition. If BATFE is requiring this action, it should state WHY it is requiring it. Otherwise, if I had one, I'd take my chances.

I don't get it - BATFE says "TURN IT IN, OR ELSE" and no one else is questioning this???

Definately. I would love to see someone that is able and willing to give the ATF a hell of a time over an aluminum tube.:D

But what bothers me the most is the principle... Like you can have these send em in or... I mean W T _ is that? THEY work for US not the other way around. I wanna see how much the actually 'Suppress' a .22lr I wanna see proof as well. No pro gun rights people blew a whistle on this?

Last edited:
My guess would be that people did form 1ns on the fake silencer and made it real so the ATF take on that is that it's too close to a real silencer hence regulated.

Well... That's our free country for ya. I just had a L.E. friend find this out about his GSG-5. Now he is a little upset, as he just purchased his weapon
2 weeks ago.

I understood the recall to be caused by the fake suppressor actually lowering the sound report slightly, making it a de facto real suppressor. :eek:

Not sure why someone didn't test this before selling them, but it's what I have read in a couple of different places, and it does make sense (sort of).

I understood the recall to be caused by the fake suppressor actually lowering the sound report slightly, making it a de facto real suppressor.

Not sure why someone didn't test this before selling them, but it's what I have read in a couple of different places, and it does make sense (sort of).

I don't see how this is possible, unless the barrel is somehow ported into the baffle.

Back